TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sektor Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,979, Level: 10 Points: 4,979, Level: 10 Points: 4,979, Level: 10

What are your thoughts on Hs/college relationships? - June 8th 2016, 09:10 PM

To be more specific, I don't mean ones with large age gaps, just like ones that are one year apart, etc 17/18 and I mean ones that started in hs. I wonder as I know certain people who are in these situations. So how do you feel about these relationships?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: What are your thoughts on Hs/college relationships? - June 9th 2016, 03:40 AM

I think that they can work out if both parties are involved and communicate about it. Of course relationships like this are not for everyone, but they can work out. I think the thing about it is that both people have to want it. Both people have to know what they expect out of the relationships and what boundaries they want to set. They have to talk about what they want to happen with the relationship and what they like and don't like. And obviously they have to be willing to make the effort to keep the relationship going strong.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
JollyRancher. Offline
Princess of the Unicorns
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Daisy or Dacashe

Points: 15,811, Level: 18 Points: 15,811, Level: 18 Points: 15,811, Level: 18

Re: What are your thoughts on Hs/college relationships? - June 9th 2016, 04:53 AM

I agree with Dez. But I feel like it also take a level of maturity that most people don't seem to have. To make a relationship work you have be able to handle having a relationship in the first place.
Most people dont really want that. For most they only look for short term things, like flings. If you want it to work out, you have to really get to know the other person and that person's personality, hobbies, dislikes, and interests.

Used to be Misslostintears
If you ever want to talk or something, i am always here.
I've been around for a while now.

If someone tells you that something you love is wrong,
THEY ARE WRONG
IF someone tries to destroy your dreams,
SHOW THEM THAT WHAT THEY DO IS NOT GOING TO STOP YOU

YOU ARE YOUR OWN BOSS,
IT'S YOUR LIFE,
LIVE IT YOUR WAY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
sektor Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,979, Level: 10 Points: 4,979, Level: 10 Points: 4,979, Level: 10

Re: What are your thoughts on Hs/college relationships? - June 9th 2016, 08:16 AM

Do you think they are strange due to one party being in HS and the other being college despite the small age difference?
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Points: 9,571, Level: 14 Points: 9,571, Level: 14 Points: 9,571, Level: 14

Re: What are your thoughts on Hs/college relationships? - June 9th 2016, 05:53 PM

No. They are only as weird as you want to make them :P

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: What are your thoughts on Hs/college relationships? - June 9th 2016, 06:27 PM

Most high school relationships won't survive. Like it's going really well if you date a guy / girl / human longer than 3 months. But some last for years - 2 friends of mine (4 total) even married their high school sweetheart. I just think that people in high school take a slightly different approach to dating than adults and it can be harder to bring the same level of maturity to the table just because of where you're st in life and that's ok. So yes relationships in high school are ok.

As for high school to college, that depends. If the relationship began before the older person started college, it's ok. If not, it's not that it's ethically wrong if it's a small age gap but it's also a big maturity gap. Most people I know grew up a ton after their first year of university, but I also know tons of people who just didn't and stayed much more immature than myself all through college. So I could easily see one person going off to college and just wanting something different than what their still-in-high-school person wants.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
Closed Thread