TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Relationships and Dating (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/)
-   -   The girlfriend delema (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/t95656-girlfriend-delema/)

Tapanga Paige February 22nd 2012 10:47 PM

The girlfriend delema

Well everyone knows that the worst way to miss someone is being with them everyday and knowing they'll never feel the same about you as you do about them. Worse than that, is watching him date someone totally wrong for him.

Regardless of my feeling for him I dislike his girlfriend. They have been dating for like a week and she's already telling him she loves him. She has also gone around complaning about how he cares more about his friends than he cares about her. Now as the best friend I feel obligated to point out the fact that he could do SO much better. However I also feel like its my job to be supportive. I really only want him to be happy.

What do I do?

DemonQueen February 23rd 2012 12:06 AM

Re: The girlfriend delema

Be there for him. Support his decision to be with this girl, whether you like it or not. Of course it's going to be hard because you most likely won't like anyone he dates and that's okay. If he asks you his opinion on her then go right ahead and tell him that he can do better. But if he's happy I wouldn't try to step in between the two of them.

Harmony♥ February 23rd 2012 01:49 AM

You'll need to be compliant of his relationship. No matter who he dates, you may not like that person. Yes, she said 'I love you' too soon in the relationship, but that happens ALL the time. Love is a feeling, but when said too soon, it's just a word. She's definitely confusing love with lust or infatuation. That is a common mistake when a relationship is new. Maybe he could do better. But, right now, it's pretty apparent that he doesn't want to and that's something you'll need to accept. If he's happy, you should be too.

PSY February 23rd 2012 02:48 AM

She's clearly infatuated with him, but that's pretty common when two people first start dating (especially when they're younger). Does that mean she's "bad" for him, or that he could do better than her? I'm not so sure. It's only been one week, so it's hard to make any judgments this early in the relationship. Also, as an outsider, you can only see so much. Maybe they're a great fit for each other, and while she may seem a bit neurotic at school, they could get along really well in private.

I know you're disappointed that he didn't go for you, and I understand that you want the very best for your friend/crush... but unless you see something that's CLEARLY wrong with his relationship, I wouldn't criticize it. As his friend, it's your job to bring up any concerns, but make sure they are legitimate concerns (ex. she's clingy, abusive, or unfaithful). You have to be very careful about how you address these concerns, because you don't want your judgment to be clouded by your feelings for him.

ForgetMeNot9 February 23rd 2012 04:35 AM

You just have to be there for him, and support him through this relationship regardless if you like the girl or not. Unfortunately, I think bringing up the fact that you think he could do better would jeopardize your friendship with him. So, just steer clear of that.

Flavalicious February 23rd 2012 05:50 AM

If that "so much better" means that he could have dated other girls who are much much better than her current girlfriend, you'll just make your friendship with your friend worse because he's in the state of "so much in love" with that girl and usually people in love will refuse to acknowledge the negative sides of their partners even though it's the truth. I think you should just support him and be with him just like before he dated her. He'll realize whether she's good for him or not in time. In the mean time.. you just need to bear with your feelings and keep on supporting him. Good luck! :)

Hollifire February 23rd 2012 01:57 PM

Unfortunately as much as you hate it, you have to step back and just be there for him. He needs to make his own mistakes. I know you want to step in and protect him, but he just needs the support of his friend. I know all too well how much it sucks to sit back and watch someone you care for be with someone else, or just not feel the same way back. It hurts but you have to be mature about it and deal with it. Maybe things will get better, who knows. As for right now, continue to be his friend & support him. Let him live his life the way he wants to.