TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tapanga Paige Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rikki Heyman

Points: 9,419, Level: 14 Points: 9,419, Level: 14 Points: 9,419, Level: 14

The girlfriend delema - February 22nd 2012, 10:47 PM

Well everyone knows that the worst way to miss someone is being with them everyday and knowing they'll never feel the same about you as you do about them. Worse than that, is watching him date someone totally wrong for him.

Regardless of my feeling for him I dislike his girlfriend. They have been dating for like a week and she's already telling him she loves him. She has also gone around complaning about how he cares more about his friends than he cares about her. Now as the best friend I feel obligated to point out the fact that he could do SO much better. However I also feel like its my job to be supportive. I really only want him to be happy.

What do I do?

<3 RAWR<3
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DemonQueen Offline
amber_teh_shark since 2004
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Amber

Points: 15,178, Level: 17 Points: 15,178, Level: 17 Points: 15,178, Level: 17

Re: The girlfriend delema - February 23rd 2012, 12:06 AM

Be there for him. Support his decision to be with this girl, whether you like it or not. Of course it's going to be hard because you most likely won't like anyone he dates and that's okay. If he asks you his opinion on her then go right ahead and tell him that he can do better. But if he's happy I wouldn't try to step in between the two of them.

I've been through hell and back and came out stronger than ever.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: The girlfriend delema - February 23rd 2012, 01:49 AM

You'll need to be compliant of his relationship. No matter who he dates, you may not like that person. Yes, she said 'I love you' too soon in the relationship, but that happens ALL the time. Love is a feeling, but when said too soon, it's just a word. She's definitely confusing love with lust or infatuation. That is a common mistake when a relationship is new. Maybe he could do better. But, right now, it's pretty apparent that he doesn't want to and that's something you'll need to accept. If he's happy, you should be too.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: The girlfriend delema - February 23rd 2012, 02:48 AM

She's clearly infatuated with him, but that's pretty common when two people first start dating (especially when they're younger). Does that mean she's "bad" for him, or that he could do better than her? I'm not so sure. It's only been one week, so it's hard to make any judgments this early in the relationship. Also, as an outsider, you can only see so much. Maybe they're a great fit for each other, and while she may seem a bit neurotic at school, they could get along really well in private.

I know you're disappointed that he didn't go for you, and I understand that you want the very best for your friend/crush... but unless you see something that's CLEARLY wrong with his relationship, I wouldn't criticize it. As his friend, it's your job to bring up any concerns, but make sure they are legitimate concerns (ex. she's clingy, abusive, or unfaithful). You have to be very careful about how you address these concerns, because you don't want your judgment to be clouded by your feelings for him.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ForgetMeNot9 Offline
Muggle
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Points: 12,875, Level: 16 Points: 12,875, Level: 16 Points: 12,875, Level: 16

Re: The girlfriend delema - February 23rd 2012, 04:35 AM

You just have to be there for him, and support him through this relationship regardless if you like the girl or not. Unfortunately, I think bringing up the fact that you think he could do better would jeopardize your friendship with him. So, just steer clear of that.

Rescue is possible. Love is the movement ♥
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Flavalicious Offline
100% Coffee addict
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Felis

Points: 8,187, Level: 13 Points: 8,187, Level: 13 Points: 8,187, Level: 13

Re: The girlfriend delema - February 23rd 2012, 05:50 AM

If that "so much better" means that he could have dated other girls who are much much better than her current girlfriend, you'll just make your friendship with your friend worse because he's in the state of "so much in love" with that girl and usually people in love will refuse to acknowledge the negative sides of their partners even though it's the truth. I think you should just support him and be with him just like before he dated her. He'll realize whether she's good for him or not in time. In the mean time.. you just need to bear with your feelings and keep on supporting him. Good luck!
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Hollifire Offline
Smile; you're beautiful.
I've been here a while

Name: Holly

Points: 36,471, Level: 27 Points: 36,471, Level: 27 Points: 36,471, Level: 27

Re: The girlfriend delema - February 23rd 2012, 01:57 PM

Unfortunately as much as you hate it, you have to step back and just be there for him. He needs to make his own mistakes. I know you want to step in and protect him, but he just needs the support of his friend. I know all too well how much it sucks to sit back and watch someone you care for be with someone else, or just not feel the same way back. It hurts but you have to be mature about it and deal with it. Maybe things will get better, who knows. As for right now, continue to be his friend & support him. Let him live his life the way he wants to.

PM VM

x See the trick is that you're never supposed to act on it
No matter how unbearable this misery gets x
Closed Thread