View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: I'm 21 years old and my parents have full control of my bank account. How is that legal? - August 22nd 2013, 01:23 AM

I had to create a new bank account when I turned 18, because my mom was a joint owner for my checking account and therefore had control over all the money in it. So first things first - create a new bank account and transfer all the money you can currently access to it. Next, you might want to drop by the bank and talk to someone in person. CDs generally are supposed to be left alone until they mature. The idea is that you collect interest while you leave the money untouched. There's nothing illegal about that. If your mom set up that CD, though, using the money you initially put into a joint bank account, then you'll want to talk to someone in person in order to find out what you can do to get that money back once the CD matures. Worst-case-scenario, you may be able to get the police involved. With today's technology, someone can probably figure out where the money came from before it was put into the CD. There may be photocopies of the checks you signed, proving that the money does indeed belong to you.