View Single Post
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: Dating Broken Girls - August 28th 2013, 11:54 PM

I wouldn't be worried about someone dumping me once they got to a better place mentally/emotionally. I would be worried about someone getting WORSE after I started dating them. I've seen SO MANY people become dependent on their boyfriends/girlfriends, it's not even funny. It's like they were never viewed as a boyfriend/girlfriend to begin with... they were viewed as their "savior," and that's not a good way to start off a relationship.

Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't date someone if they're going through a rough spot; however, I would use caution, because you need to think about what's best for both people at that point in their lives. For the person who is struggling: should a romantic relationship really be a top priority for them, or should they focus on getting help for themselves before trying to make another person happy? For the person who wants to help: should they cross the line from being a supportive friend to a boyfriend/girlfriend, or maintain a somewhat stricter boundary and wait until "they are themselves" again (for example, if someone is extremely depressed/suicidal and not receiving professional support, they may not be "themselves" again until they have taken medication and/or participated in therapy for a few months' time)?

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.