View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: How to reduce anxiety while driving? - September 2nd 2013, 07:16 PM

I'm not sure where you live, but in the United States, if you're 16, you need to get your driver's permit first. You need to have an experienced adult with you during that initial phase. Make sure the adult you select isn't high-strung... make sure the person you select is calm and able to provide feedback without yelling/berating you. That's really the most important thing. Not only will they be a second pair of eyes and ears, but they'll be able to provide instant feedback on how to handle various situations you might face on the road.

When I first started driving (I was around your age at the time), I was a nervous wreck! My father had me drive on the freeway, at night, and go for two hours nonstop (I almost drove off a windy mountain road at one point - after that, merging onto the freeway seemed a lot less scary). As strange as it sounds, though, jumping right into the experience with a trusted adult at my side made the learning process go much more smoothly afterward. I was a cautious driver, and I made some small mistakes, but over the course of several months, I steadily became more confident. The key is to drive regularly - let's say every other day at the very least. It will eventually become habitual, and will lose its intensity over time.