View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: Anxiety before work - December 15th 2013, 06:43 PM

Hey there! I'm sorry you didn't receive a response sooner. Sometimes, I'll feel anxious about all the "what ifs." Like you, I won't have anything specific in mind; however, I'll worry about what COULD happen. When I begin to feel that way, I'll remind myself of all the different ways in which I'm prepared for any potential problem at work. I remind myself that I have sufficient training, and that my co-workers can also assist me if something goes wrong. I remind myself that I've handled difficult situations in the past and can handle future difficult situations. I remind myself that, for the most part, NOTHING BAD happens at work.

Something else I discovered is that I can confuse "anxiety" with "frustration." I know that sounds weird, but think about it. If your body feels tense and your heart is racing, then that could indicate you're feeling anxious OR frustrated. If you're experiencing negative thoughts about work, then that could indicate you're feeling anxious OR frustrated. Eventually, I realized that I experienced all those things because I was frustrated. I didn't want to go to work because I wanted to do something else during that time... something FUN! Once I discovered the physical feelings and thoughts were resulting from frustration, I could address the frustration (by telling myself I'd have fun after work, that going to work would give me money to use on fun activities, etc.). You might want to think about whether these symptoms you're experiencing are really resulting from anxiety, or if another feeling is coming up for you.