(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: My Friends are Dating??? - December 18th 2013, 12:21 AM

Hello, Sammi! Welcome to TeenHelp. =)

I can understand why you would feel betrayed by these two friends. I want to say that first, because I don't want you to feel as if I'm invalidating the sense of betrayal. I do want to point out, though, that people's feelings CAN change very quickly. Your friend IS allowed to develop romantic feelings for people overnight. You may question how sincere those feelings are, since she seems to have a "need" for relationships; however, she IS entitled to whatever feelings she has, just as you are entitled to whatever feelings you have.

Of course, I could be misunderstanding the situation. Maybe she HAS had feelings for him for a while, and she continuously denied those feelings. That would certainly make me upset as well! Something I've learned, though, is that it can be difficult to admit the truth to friends AND to ourselves depending on the circumstances. Your friend may not have intended to lie to you... she may have worried about how you might react, and lied out of fear of losing your friendship. That would be understandable on her part, especially if she suspected you had feelings for the other guy and she didn't want to upset you.

You can go about this in many different ways. You can choose to hold a grudge against your two friends (either until they break up or for the foreseeable future). You can choose to discuss this further and explain why you feel the way you do. You can choose to forgive your friends. You can choose to "sugarcoat" whatever it is you want to say, or be blunt and risk the potential consequences (e.g., upsetting them and causing them to end their friendships with you).

There are probably plenty of other options... which is why it's important to take a few days to play through all the possible scenarios and decide which approach is best for you. Your gut reaction may be to avoid your friends or confront your friends out of anger. Instead, try to refrain from doing anything "major" while you give these options some thought. That way, whatever it is you decide to do, you'll know you didn't do it hastily or impulsively.