View Single Post
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: A life with alcohol. - January 9th 2014, 08:19 AM

Lydia, thank you for writing this article so quickly! Chantal, thank you for editing this article so quickly! =) I was only able to edit part of this article due to time constraints. Later this week, I will take another look at the article and focus on restructuring it, in addition to making spelling/grammar/punctuation edits. (Lydia, if you apply these edits, please be sure to remove all formatting afterward. That way, we won't have to worry about the font type and color. You can do this by selecting everything and clicking on the icon in the upper-left corner of the editing area [it looks like two A's with an "X" through them] after you have applied all of the edits. If you do it before applying all of the edits, then you won't know what needs to be removed/added/etc.)

One thing I noticed is that you frequently switch between the past and present tense. It might be easier if you just stick with one at a time. For example, when you're talking about your childhood experiences, it might help to just talk about what happened in the past. Later in the article, you can switch to the present day and what you're struggling with now, vs. what you were struggling with at the ages of eight and eleven. I understand that many of your past struggles are the same as your present struggles, but there are ways to discuss the past and present without being repetitive. I can provide some suggestions later this week. =)

A life with alcohol
Anonymous By Anonymous

Since about the age of 8 eight, I've watched my dad drink himself into a state night in night out [Robin: I'd like to avoid these sorts of vague statements... some users may not know what you mean by "into a state night in night out," so how about, "to the point of intoxication almost every night"?]. He would have 20 ounces while playing a game with us, and that would be the norm for a Sunday night while Mom cooked the dinner,. iIt never really bothered me that much when I was younger, as alcohol has always been in this house and always will be, but it was around the age of eight he started drinking heavily [Robin: This statement seems repetitive, so I'd remove it.]. During the day he is sober, holdsing down a job, and worksing from 9 A.M. to -6 P.M. in an office setting. He's not the a 'stereotypical alcoholic,'. Bbut he's still an alcoholic.

It wasn't just Sunday nights he would drink. It was and still is every night. [Robin: Again, this statement seems repetitive to me.] I can remember when his drinking would get out of control, and it still does.I have always felt different from my friends. - iIn school, most Monday mornings or days would start with sharing about what we did at over the weekend,. most Many people would say they spent time with their dad, or that they their dad took them somewhere,. wWhen it got to me, what could I say? 'Dad just drank'? No. Talking about dDad and his drinking isn't wasn't something we were allowed to do, and we still don't really talk about it.

It wasn't really untill my bed times got became later and later that I really began to notice how much my dad drinks. 20 to 60 ounces of beer a per night was all I saw up until the age of eleven aged 8. Once I got to the age of about 11 my bedtime had got later and it was then that I was seeing my dad drinking more and more and more (and still am). [Robin: Again, repetitive statement.] But iIt was about this age I was beginning that I began to notice my dad passing out on the sofa. and having friends round was getting hard as they would want to stay later and this would mean them seeing dad drunk! Inviting friends to my house became problematic, because the later they stayed, the more likely it was that they would see my dad when he was drunk! So if they came round or come round To keep this from happening, I usually would make sure they are were gone by early evening. I was going to school tired and exhausted from waiting up for dad to either go to bed or pass out on the sofa and trying to wake him up. I was getting angry in school not just because of what was going on at home but also because of I was getting bullied at school it was like where ever I went I was dealing with name calling and abuse. It was like there was no escape from it at all. I was labelled as naughty and badly behaved. (behaved and threatened needed a space after the period, there wasn’t one) Threatened with suspension and isolation and put on report.
I began to bunk (skip) class. Hang around in town and bunk (skip) school.

If I did attend lessons people would irritate me and annoy me and I would get angry. No one ever asked if I was okay and simply just assumed that was how I was. The reality was at home I was trying to juggle school work and my dads drinking with the abuse and arguments and avoid getting in trouble at school. Yet I could not tell anyone at school what was happening, I couldn't find the words and really didn't know how to actually word it and I felt like telling would ruin the family and destroy the family secret. So I kept quiet. I'd fall asleep in classes, I'd get angry, yet most of the time I would act like everything was fine.

My attendance fell from 100% attendance to like 50% attendance, again this was put down to me being a trouble maker and me just not being bothered about education, my grades slipped in year 7 and 8 (in grade 6 and 7) I was getting my homework in on time the majority of the time , as time went on I missed deadlines, didn't bother with handing it in, if I did do homework it would be sloppy, rushed sometimes done on the bus or the train (not sure if you would like to use something different for train or not) on the way to school. There were times where I was getting A* (do you mean As?) on projects in years 7-8. Years 9-11 (in grade 6-7. Grade 8-10) (I’ve changed this information to protect the location, see below for more information please) homework was not something I would consider important or have the time to do I would come home from school and run up to my room and just lie on my bed and cry, calm down, tidy my room, and then I would watch TV, have dinner and by then dad was home and then it was all about dealing with dad - arguments were a nightly event, sometimes we would have three to four arguments in one night.
If it was a ''good'' night and we only had one or two arguments I would manage to get some homework done before having to deal with dad and wake him up off the sofa etc.

I got the grades I needed for college - but college proved to be just as hard - though my attendance did seem to be better - I would sometimes turn up late (arrive late to class) (is this what you are referring to as “turn up late”?)- I was getting angrier and angrier it got to the point where the smallest thing could set me off if some one said something to me I did not like I would be up out of my seat and shouting, other times I would completely shut down and just stop talking - my tutor noticed and took me aside and asked me what was going I said nothing at first, I had a few friends and one of my friends did find out about my dad - this friend became my rock - they phoned (called) me most nights to make sure I was ok and that dad was not getting violent, they offered me a place at their house if I ever needed it, they gave me a card with numbers on it to call for if I was ever to be picked out, they spoke to the police for me but made it out it was a friend of a friend. I don't think I would have made it through the first year of college without that friend. This friend is also the friend who encouraged me to contact Child-line (Kids Help Phone) (please refer to bottom where it will be explained).
I did phone up Child-line (Kids Help Phone). They became a safe place for me. I talked about dad, the bullying, the self harming (by now I was self harming many times a day) there'd be times where I would ring child-line (call Kids Help Phone) crying my eyes out.
College was also the first time I had any type of involvement with socials services - I was taken to a little room where there was a college counsellor and a child protection officer and my course team leader (program coordinator) (please refer to bottom where it will be explained)and another person, they told me social services were going to be involved whether I wanted them to be or not - someone had told them about my dad - panic went through me - was he going to get arrested , what was going to happen to my family. A social worker came out to see me at college the next day and again I was shut in a room with some people and was forced to talk. They closed the case. I learned to not trust social services.

I was left to muddle on through, I moved colleges after. It was at this college that my tutor first saw the cuts on my arms and asked me about them - pointing to them and saying what are those on your arms, she asked me this in front of the whole class, I pulled my sleeves down and told her it was nothing when really the night before I had used a safety pin to cut myself with.

It was like I was smiling on the outside but on the inside screaming out for someone to help me and notice me and offer me some sort of way out. No one who I saw on a daily basis at college etc did this.

I began to look for help myself and found a few places most of these were websites - some websites were less helpful than others - there's two websites I use on a regular basis.
I grew to old for child-line (Kids Help Phone).
I now use another help-line this helpline along with the websites have become a safe place for me, somewhere where I can talk about things and be understood.

Talking hasn't solved my dad and it has not helped him stop drinking - but I do now know that I cannot stop my dad from drinking and that is something has to do himself.
I still look after my dad and wake him up off the sofa on a weekly basis.
Talking might not stop him drinking but talking about it really does help as keeping it inside does not do anyone any good.