Thread: Triggering (Abuse): My Best Friend's Parents.
View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34

Re: My Best Friend's Parents. - May 9th 2014, 11:24 PM

Hey there,

There are a lot of points you mentioned and I will break them down for you. So you can have a better understanding of what might be happening and what you can do to help. Being a by-standard to hearing your friend tell you what is going on, where you can't do much to help her. However, there is good news to this. Every negative situation we're in there is always a few positive things. Let start to outline this.

Sometimes allowing yourself to accept and know that when challenging life events happen or are repeated sometimes we can't do a lot to help because its out of our complete control (we have no control over). So where is the positive in that? Your friend trusts you to go to you and explain what she is going through, most importantly how she is feeling. Being there for her, you are helping her. It may seem its not but it is. Some things you could bring up with her is if ever the abuse (whether its emotional, physical, etc.) she can call the police if she ever feels unsafe. You can support her and explain calling the police isn't bad its a good thing. Here is a list that you can talk to her about.

Supports:
1) Calling your emergency number in your area (police)
2) Offer counseling services to her
3) Let her know that she can go to you whenever

Feeling bad because we can't help someone the way we want to, it happens and its beyond our control. What you can do is be gentle with yourself and think about what you can do, not what you can't do or wish that would happen. She needs a good friend and asking her what she wants can allow you to offer more supports to her.

Most of the time when close loved ones hurt others its because they don't know how to deal with something so instead take it out on someone else. Her parents may not understand what mental illness really is and they may be blaming themselves for the cause.

18 is a big age in most countries. However, her being 17 she can still get the help she needs. Most cities have a shelter for young adults who are trying to get back on track and they can receive counseling and support where they are safe. One of the best people to go to for this information would be an organization that supports Human Rights and/or protecting women from abuse.

I have a few web sites that you can look at and give your friend. There is support and help out there.

MindingYourHead: "The services offer advice/support on a range of issues that can have an impact on your mental health such as: alcohol, bereavement, disability, drugs, eating disorders, gambling, housing, illness, mental health, money worries, relationships, self-harm, sexuality, stress, suicide, depression and abuse."

HeadStrong:

Women's Aid: "We work to make women and children safe from domestic violence, offer support, provide hope to women affected by abuse and work for justice and social change."

If you need more links please let us know.
Be proud of yourself for being there for her, okay?

Take Care.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

Last edited by MsNobleEleanor; May 9th 2014 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Spelling