(#45 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Points: 14,981, Level: 17 Points: 14,981, Level: 17 Points: 14,981, Level: 17

Re: UK Teachers: Ban Homework For Kids Under 11 - April 18th 2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Emily~ View Post
As a future teacher, I can say that I disagree. While homework seems pointless and can get frustrating for all parties involved, it is crucial in more ways than one. First of all, homework makes you practice what you learn and helps you to retain that information. You cannot expect the student to come into the classroom ready to learn new information without first knowing that they understand the old, and the only way they can understand and retain the old is by homework and studying.
Also, without having homework at that early age, students' work ethic will surely be affected on a large scale. It will come as a shock to them when they suddenly hit age 12 and are bringing home 4 books each night to do homework - that would be overwhelming to do that suddenly. At that point, teachers would also have to practically train their students to do outside work and try to teach them that it is a fact of life, despite what was taught to them in elementary/early primary school. That is, if they can even retain and recall enough information to pass those early grade levels.
But how do we avoid having students do what most students do - learn the material just long enough to pass tests, and then forget it all?

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius