(#5 (permalink)) Old
Thinking Offline
Think, and solve problems!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ivan

Points: 10,154, Level: 14 Points: 10,154, Level: 14 Points: 10,154, Level: 14

Re: I can't do anything about my depression - June 17th 2017, 04:35 PM

Hey there!

I am so sorry that you struggling so much right now. But you can actually try so many things to fix your depression! Dont give up!

I understand that external support isnt helping at the moment, but there are many suggestions give above so I wont reapeat them. But consider this for a moment: You actually have all you need to help yourself, and all it takes is courage to try again!

1) Routine- When life is being depressing, try to scrap off the old routine or habits, and replace it with a new one. For example, set a new timetable and try your best to stick to it! Allocate yourself sometime for leisure and do productive work otherwise, for example, I would allow myself to have a small jog of 20 minutes when I can, and some time for my piano. I mean, do things that you love and allow yourself to do them!

2) Goals- I completely understand what its like when depression hits you, things you used to love doing are no longer enjoyable. This is when you should try to fight the depression and gain your interest back! A good way to do so is to set targets on what you want to acheive. Dont be in a hurry and be kind to yourself! Take small improvements everyday and make sure you take note of them, good or bad, you will see how you progress and hopefully you will see satisfaction in it!

3) Exercise- As I said above, this is a good routine to have. But do you know that it also helps to make you feel happier? Well, when you do exercises, it releases endorphins that makes you feel good and induce positive feelings, and studies shows that it does help in curing depression!

4) Sleep- Most of your hormones are regulated during your sleep, and when lack of sleep will cause hormonal imbalance. Uncontrolled emotions like depression is one of the causes of sleep deprivation. I experienced this myself too, when I am sleep deprived I tend to be more depressed and suicidal, and I felt better after a few days of normal sleeping without doing anything else!

5) Think logically- I know how much I relied on this, and I wont be here alive if it wasnt because of this! I know how hard it is to think straight when you are depressed, but sometimes think about your thoughts again. Is it really valid and logical? Sometimes when we think there is no way out of our life, think again, is it really unsolvable? The truth is every problem can be solved just like the problems we see in school, but its more complex and it takes lots of effort to think a way to fix it! I hate to say this, but sometimes when emotions are unreliable, dont forget about your logical thinking, it is loyal and will never break down because of your emotions! We are often too harsh on ourselves and we might have been thinking of the worse case senario!

6) Keep busy- Its very hard to be productive or even get yourself to start doing work. I truly understand that. But when you have important responsibilities on you like schoolwork, or assignments, these things can keep you from doing nothing for the whole day! Focus on the work and try your best to use them to distract the negative thoughts. Its a positive loop: The more you work, the more productive you are, the more you feel worthy and the less depressed you are!

7) Make new friends- I know how your current friends arent supportive to you. I know how depressing it must be for you and you might blame them. But I hope you also know that they never able to comprehend what you are going through, thus might be cold or less understanding towards helping you. But not everyone are like that! Have you considered going to support societies near your area? Or voluntering? These are great ways you can meet new and nice (especially volunteers!) people, and you might be suprised that there are so many nice and kind people around who are willing to be friends and be supportive to you!

I just want to let you know that everyone here cares for you. We would never want you to get worse and we just want to help you more! Most importantly we will never give up on you. I hope you write to the threads more if you need more advice, okay? We will always listen, understand, and try our best to help!

Things will get better eventually I promise. You will be glad one day that you kept going all these while and didnt gave up!

Do my best at everything I can to live a happy, perfect life.

Happy life won't come by being happy everyday. Struggle and always work hard.

Forgive other's imperfection, they will work hard about it once I point it out to them, just like what I should be doing.

On the other hand, never tolerate with my own mediocrity. Never slack and always strive improvement.

Never settle. Never give up.