Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Telling parents?? - June 19th 2017, 04:04 PM

Hey Bianca,

It's a really great thing that you're looking for ways to tell your parents about what you're going through. There are a few different ways you can approach this depending on how comfortable you feel.

First, you could be blunt and tell her in person. Doing this means that if your mum has any questions you are there to answer them, and you will know how she reacts as soon as you tell her. This way, you can also give her as much or as little information as you like and she will be there to support you when you do it. However, it might be difficult in person, and so you might find it easier to do it another way.

You could write her a letter for example. In this letter you can include as much detail as you feel is needed to tell her how things are for you, and you could also explain to her a bit about why you hurt yourself because there are a lot of misconceptions around about SH. Using a letter means that if you're not too comfortable saying things in person, you can plan what you write, and then edit it as many times as is needed for it to be as easy as possible to hand it over to her. You can also use this as a form of self expression and use colours and pictures if that helps, because while the letter is ultimately for your mum to know what is going on, it is also a way for you to let go of what you have been holding back on. You can also either hand the letter to her, or get it to her in another way such as leaving it somewhere for her to find.

Doing this indirectly and not in person will lead to a chat in person at some point. SH is a horrible thing to hear about, and nobody wants to find out that someone they love has been hurting themselves, so your mum may want to talk to you about it still. It is important to remember that being scared is ok. If you're worried about talking to her, let her know. She will probably be worried too. If you feel like crying, let yourself cry because it is better than to hurt yourself anyway. Importantly, make sure that you let your mum help you. Telling someone is ok, but you have to keep letting them in after that in order for them to be able to make a difference. IF you need someone, talk to her. Let her know that you want her help and appreciate her support, and if you're findig that hard, communicate with her so she knows what you are going through.

I hope you find a way to talk to her about this. If you need any more advice or support just let me know! I'm happy to help so PM me at any time too.
Take care.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff