(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: Extreme self harm thoughts - June 6th 2018, 01:59 PM

Sorry you didn't get a reply soon enough!

How did work go?

What you are saying about self-harm does make a lot of sense. I understand that for some, alternatives might not work, and a good way to deal with that is to have a reason or event that you tell yourself you can't self-harm for.

It also makes sense that you'd be tempted to find ways of being able to self-harm that doesn't involve a lot of damage, since you have work. And I can see why that in itself is tempting and conflicting when you care about work. But I do think you are on the right track with trying to change your thinking and anytime you feel the urge, to just keep extending the deadline. I think that's part of the battle in breaking the cycle of self-harm (rather than thinking that you can use a method that is less damaging, when chances are, that may only escalate to more damage in the long run, putting further pressure on you when you care about your work).

I think it might also be helpful to think about all those previous times when you wanted to self-harm but didn't. Starting something new, like work, is bound to cause you some anxiety (as well as excitement!) and with the pressure to do well, I understand that emotions can seem to be difficult to deal with and self-harm can be tempting. But you know you can get through these feelings, without self-harming, even if it means extending deadlines or remembering how much work means to you. You've got through stuff before and you'll do it again, I'm sure

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer