TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Extreme self harm thoughts - June 3rd 2018, 11:22 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I am having extreme thoughts of self harm. I don't really need alternatives because I've been harming myself for so long that I know that I just have to figure out how to get through this. Unfortunately, for me, alternatives haven't ever really worked and I used to get through urges through 'will power'. Mainly just reminding myself that I have an event coming up and can't be hospitalized.

I start work on Monday so that could be a triggered as I am nervous and excited. I know I can't do severe self harm while working but I also know that I can get away without medical treatment for the most part. Something I've learned over the years of self harm. I shouldn't have stopped myself from getting help but they would have hospitalized me and for self harm that doesn't help me.

Anyway, I am looking into a certain form to see how much damage I could do. Not so that I could do that damage but so that I can harm myself and avoid the damage. If I don't do enough damage I should be find with intervention. I could get an infection but then I'd go to urgent care and it's likely they wouldn't do anything...especially if I came up with a lie.

Long story short, I am close to two years self harm free and I am sitting her wondering how much damage I could do without ruining my chances and losing the job.

I need help to change my thinking. Should I tell myself I'll put it off till Friday night and keep extending is?

Any suggestions would be great. I have the tools to not cut but don't really care. I do care about losing my job but...I know how things work and I wouldn't risk that.

(Trying to avoid giving ideas so I am being vague)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Extreme self harm thoughts - June 6th 2018, 01:59 PM

Sorry you didn't get a reply soon enough!

How did work go?

What you are saying about self-harm does make a lot of sense. I understand that for some, alternatives might not work, and a good way to deal with that is to have a reason or event that you tell yourself you can't self-harm for.

It also makes sense that you'd be tempted to find ways of being able to self-harm that doesn't involve a lot of damage, since you have work. And I can see why that in itself is tempting and conflicting when you care about work. But I do think you are on the right track with trying to change your thinking and anytime you feel the urge, to just keep extending the deadline. I think that's part of the battle in breaking the cycle of self-harm (rather than thinking that you can use a method that is less damaging, when chances are, that may only escalate to more damage in the long run, putting further pressure on you when you care about your work).

I think it might also be helpful to think about all those previous times when you wanted to self-harm but didn't. Starting something new, like work, is bound to cause you some anxiety (as well as excitement!) and with the pressure to do well, I understand that emotions can seem to be difficult to deal with and self-harm can be tempting. But you know you can get through these feelings, without self-harming, even if it means extending deadlines or remembering how much work means to you. You've got through stuff before and you'll do it again, I'm sure

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Extreme self harm thoughts - June 7th 2018, 03:13 PM

I want to thank you for the response. I apologize for taking so long to reply but I have been busy. My thoughts of self harm have decreased. I think it's partially due to getting a schedule and realizing that, for now, the work and life isn't as stressful as I was imagining. I have a huge fear of the unknown and I am pretty sure that's what was causing the thoughts.

I'm glad it's passed but I know it might become an issue as training begins and things like that. All I can do is take it one day at a time. I also know I won't self harm unless I can do it in an extreme way. I know that's not good, per se, but it will prevent me from self harming because doing more dage takes a lot of work. It's a bit of a blessing and a curse because I'll be safe from relapse this way.

I just wish the thoughts would go away forever but I know I'll always have urges pop up periodically. I just have more tools to cope. This recent post was made during a time when I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and needed to vent.

Anyway, thank you for responding. It means a lot and I hope you are well.
Closed Thread