Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: I think I need help - March 25th 2020, 11:58 AM

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear that things have been hard for you and I can definitely understand that feeling unable to talk to anybody can make things worse. It's really great that you've come here and reached out to us; there will always be someone here you can talk to even if finding someone in real life is hard.

When you feel sad a lot it can be hard to believe that you can be happy, but that doesn't mean that what your brain is telling you is the truth. It's no reason to give up, it's just a hint that maybe your mind isn't doing too well right now. Perhaps when you find yourself in a hole you can try looking for things that give you positive emotions rather than negative ones. Write a couple of things a day that make you feel better, like the fact the sun is shining, or the fact you've changed your bedsheets and it feels really soft when you get into bed now. They can be really meaningless, silly things, but as long as they give you a positive feeling, they matter just as much as the things that hurt. Little by little, you can build up an inventory of happy things to look back over when you're struggling to see a way forward. They can be a reminder that even when things are bad, there are still things that make you happy.

A good way to get through bad days is also to try and keep distracted. Try reading a few chapters of a book, or writing something. A bit of escapism can be really helpful in making a bad day pass by, and in my experience, it can help me feel better a the end of it too.

Finally, I know you said you feel like nobody listens when you need to talk, but perhaps you can try explaining things to someone you trust again. It's difficult, and I know that. I don't know your personal situation so maybe it wont be easy, but if you can, talking can help so much. Even as little as saying "I'm not doing so well right now" breaks down the barrier a bit, and it might help you feel a little bit less alone. And as I said, TH is always here if you need someone too. Please feel free to post as much as you need to, and also to PM me if I can help at all.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.