Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: Somethings wrong with me. - January 9th 2021, 03:03 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out!

Firstly, nothing is wrong with you. To vote is your right. Your friend's reaction is very typical of people who feel strongly about a political party. As I've experienced too in my life, differences in political opinions can change the course of friendships. I've lost friends over differences in political opinions, so I can understand what you're going through. Like Hollie said, this might be an opportunity to communicate your differences if your friend is willing to talk about it and see if you might be able to reach a middle ground.

From my experience, I can tell you one thing - no political party or candidate is perfect as such. Some might be better than the other, no doubt. But each of us has our reasons behind voting for a particular politician, and that is strongly driven by our own views on particular matters which in turns depends on our upbringing, environment, how that politician might benefit us, etc. It's often very subjective. But another thing I can tell you is that even despite differences, friendships can still be civil. It's unfortunate that your friend took your decision to vote for a particular candidate so seriously that she had to turn her back on you, but perhaps she might change her mind eventually. But also, if a friendship were true, people will stay or come back. Don't think too much about this, and remember that you have a right to vote for whomever you voted for.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend who is moving away. However, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with you! People move for many reasons. I know it feels like right now since both the incidents with your friends are happening at the same time, but it doesn't have anything to do with you. You can always keep in touch online or meet your friend your holidays/breaks.

Take care!

~ Seize each day and live it like your last ~

HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.