(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: online learning - January 13th 2021, 03:13 PM

I don't have children but I have seen from other parents that it can be stressful trying to engage their child in distance learning.

I'm wondering if your DS' school has sent out any information to help with distance learning- what do they recommend, any particular resources or structure?

Young children may get bored easily and it must be difficult for them going from a classroom with friends and classmates to being isolated at home and having to learn at home too. It might help to find a quiet/calm space in your home where you can spend some time with your DS learning. You can use a computer or a tablet to access educational websites (we have some resources here) and apps. You could use traditional workbooks or perhaps get creative and use whatever is around you, for example, if doing mathematics, use objects such as money, beads, sweets or fruit (real or plastic or even playdough) to help use when teaching and learning. There may also be educational television programs that you can watch together. Perhaps try and make learning fun such as giving 'quizzes' and offering rewards when your DS has done well. Remember to take plenty of breaks too and get exercise as well- in school, your DS may be running around during play times so, depending on the rules in your area, perhaps go for a walk or a play in an outdoor area, such as a garden or a park.

Don't forget that learning isn't just about school subjects- other things like cooking, cleaning, maintenance etc can be taught in an age appropriate way and still counts as learning.

Importantly, look after yourself too. It's hard being in a pandemic and it's understandable that, even though you love your son, you can't wait for him to go back to school. Try and find ways of enjoying your time together and look after yourself too. Things will go back to normal, eventually

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer