(#4 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,726, Level: 39 Points: 74,726, Level: 39 Points: 74,726, Level: 39

Re: Does anyone else trigger themself on purpose? - March 1st 2021, 12:28 PM

I have done this too and sometimes find myself doing it still. I don't think it's dumb at all. I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to do, but I believe it's more common than you think. People sometimes get a certain kind of release from experiencing negative emotions, such as being scared. I think it's very possible a similar thing might happen when seeing something which triggers you.

I think recognising when you're getting into this kind of behaviour is a good thing though. Are there certain things or circumstances which get you on the path to triggering yourself? If so, maybe you can make a note of it so that you're aware of when this happens, almost as if that was a trigger itself.

I also think distractions are a really good idea and the idea of rerouting when in a rabbit hole or looking at opposite emotions are both really good ideas. I'd also recommend getting away from whatever it is that gives you access to triggering content. If it's your computer or phone for example, try doing an activity which doesn't involve this technology such as going for a walk, writing something by hand or reading a book. Also, reaching out to others is a good thing too. If you're not comfortable telling them what's going on, maybe you can call a friend for a chat and talk about something unrelated. This might be a really good distraction in itself.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff