(#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Brother intends to get married soon - March 7th 2021, 11:21 PM

I completely understand your reservations as 18 months is a very short space of time to go from being strangers to being married. And of course you care about your brother and want him to be happy, so your worries are completely logical and justfied. I'd probably feel the same in your position too. I think you've done really well to be so supportive so far. As you say, he clearly really likes this person and you've been very open to that.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with opening up a conversation with your brother to be sure he's 100% about this as long as it's done in a supportive way. But I agree with the post above in that your brother may need a person on his side when it comes to the reaction from other family members. I know that with lockdown, seeing your brother and meeting his girlfriend is difficult, but is there a way you can maybe get to know her more yourself so that you are in a better position to understand the speed of their relationship? Maybe you could arrange some video calls or something just to get to know each other a little bit, and then that way when it comes to other family finding out, she won't feel so alone either?

In terms of the travel, I've heard similar things safety-wise about India but I don't know a huge amount about it, but I think being honest with your brother about your anxiety could be helpful as it's a completely rational way to feel. If you do choose to go, perhaps you can get recommendations from your brothers girlfriend on the safest places to stay so that you can feel more reassured. It might also help do do some research into the areas you're likely to be spending your time so that it's somewhat familiar when you're there. On the other hand, it's a huge amount of travelling and I can see why that in itself could be a problem. If it's not a practical journey for you, maybe there will be a way for you to join some of the event via zoom or skype? You may even be able to arrange a wedding 2.0 when they arrive back in the UK, or a get together like Stacey has said. It's not the same, of course, but that way you get to celebrate with him regardless of where in the world he goes to marry.

I think ultimately, whether a person has been with someone for 18 months or 18 years, there's always a posibility that it might go wrong. The best thing you can do is share your concerns in ways in which it is coming from a place of kindness and family worry, and keep being as supportive as you have been so far. Relationships and marriage will either work or they won't, but right now it sounds like they're in a good place. Living so close to each other for the last 3 months may have just sped up how quickly they got to know each other. Timelines have changed a bit I think, perhaps this is part of it!

Either way, I hope it works out for them and they're happy, and I hope you manage to find a way to be open about your concerns too as they make a lot of sense and obviously come from a good place.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.