(#4 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,719, Level: 39 Points: 74,719, Level: 39 Points: 74,719, Level: 39

Re: Covid-19 Vaccination and ethnic minorities in UK - March 8th 2021, 09:38 PM

I've had conversations with colleagues about this sort of thing too. I've had people tell me all sorts of false stories about what goes into the vaccine and why this is a reason it can't be trusted. I think it's really damaging that we live in an age where news can be reported by anyone, regardless of their qualification to tell the news as it really is. Unfortunately, in certain ethnic groups there's been a huge amount of sharing of false news stories which add to the myths around vaccines, and then reduce the uptake in these ethnic groups. And when people add fuel to the fire in this way, it only makes it worse. I can understand reservations about any kind of new medicine or vaccine, but hundreds and hundreds of collective hours went into manufacturing it, testing it, ensuring it's safe for all people, and it's such a shame that regular people have the power to weaken all of that hard work and science.

I completely get your frustration about this, and I think it's really good that you're countering her arguments and trying to correct misinformation. Hopefully there are enough people doing the same thing to balance it out a bit so that BAME people are going to have the vaccine.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.