(#1 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Volunteering - August 18th 2021, 12:52 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of death or grieving, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Up until early last year I had been volunteering for three years with a charity doing visits for one of their clients. Just before the first lockdown he passed away, and I had a really hard time coping with that. As a result I decided not to continue volunteering because I didnt feel ready to get to know a new client and the support and communication I had from the charity was not good. I heard from his relative before I heard from anyone at the charity, and they only informed me months later when I tried to contact them to see if they had updated their records. We were in a pandemic and obviously things were tough but I struggled with having no support or contact from them at the time.

Anyway, I had an email from somebody the other day asking if I'd be interested in some remote volunteering and I've decided to talk to them about it and possibly give it a go if it fits around work. Theres a new person in charge by the looks of it as I dont recognise her name, so I dont want to hold grudges or be put off by something that's already happened. I loved my volunteering and I'd love to help more, but does anyone have some advice for how to keep a neutral mind about this? I'm in a much better place mentally now than I was last year but I dont want it to end up taking a toll on me somehow.

I hope this is the right forum! Feel free to be it if not.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff