(#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,747, Level: 39 Points: 74,747, Level: 39 Points: 74,747, Level: 39

Re: Depression is making me lose my memory? - August 28th 2021, 01:15 PM

I definitely understand what you're saying here and I've experienced this too. It's such a hard thing to deal with and it makes how you feel even worse sometimes.

I find having a to-do list is really helpful when I'm worried I'll forget things like chores. I'll often make the list as I go, so that any time I think of something I need to do later, I can make a note of it and then cross it off once it gets done. Would something like this help?

In terms of studying, I'd definitely recommend varying your studying habits. The mind tends to remember things more if there are memorable circumstances sometimes, so maybe you can study in different locations, such as in the garden, at the coffee shop, at the library etc, rather than just in your bedroom or living room. You can also try to make studying interactive - this is something which really helped me. I would put flash cards up in different areas around my study space so that I could move around whilst working. If you have people you can study with, maybe you can make this into a game too. This might help your mood lift a bit while you're working, but it'll also give you s different kind of learning to do.

From the outside, sometimes people don't get that we're not being lazy, we're just not coping well with life. I'm so sorry that people aren't recognising your problems here, but you're not doing anything wrong by not coping well. Do you feel able to tell anybody how you're feeling? Maybe your parents could help you find new ways to study or do chores which are engaging, or they can provide you with some encouragement to reassure you that you're doing the best you can.

It might also help to have a chat with somebody at school too. If you have a teacher you trust, or a guidance counsellor, maybe have a chat with them and let them know what's going on. They may be able to help you with coping skills, and could help get you some support with studying to make sure that, even if you're finding it harder than normal, you don't feel the stress of working this all out on your own.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff