(#4 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Med, Law, or nothing? - August 28th 2021, 01:23 PM

I'm sorry that you're feeling so much pressure from your family to study what they've chosen for you.

It's really hard not to give into that pressure especially when people aren't willing to hear you out. I feel like for degrees such as law and medicine, you have to really feel passionately that this is what you want to do in order to enjoy it and succeed in it. They're really hard fields to get into and succeed in anyway, so your heart has to be in it. It doesn't make you a failure in anyway to not share their vision of what your life should look like. You can put your compassion and skills into a huge range of things other than just these careers, and at 16 you don';t have to have it all figured out!

I understand that you find talking very upsetting, and it's never nice to end up in tears with your family. I would suggest that you keep trying to make her see how strongly you feel about this though. Crying is never nice, but perhaps she will see how upset you are about this and work with you rather than against you. If you have a friend or other relative who might be able to help you with this, that could work too. Maybe a cousin or aunt or grandparent - somebody who can sit with you when you talk to your parents and back you up if they give you a hard time. I know it isn't a pleasant conversation to have, but you're doing nothing wrong by making your own decisions about what you want to do in your life.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff