View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,747, Level: 39 Points: 74,747, Level: 39 Points: 74,747, Level: 39

Re: It's only been about a week and I already hate my job - July 4th 2023, 06:07 PM

Hey

Thanks for reaching out! You don't sound whiny at all - new jobs are really stressful and it's especially difficult in a fast paced (let alone customer facing) environment. The more stressed you are the easier it is to make mistakes, and the fact you're still learning to begin with will always mean the first few weeks are tricky to navigate. It's definitely not unusual to feel like running away. Trust me, I've definitely been there!

It's great that your managers seem to be okay. I've worked with intimidating managers before too. I think some managers just are, and it makes it worse, but I'd definitely advise trying to find a good working relationship with them where possible. If you're struggling, let them know. They might be able to offer you more training, or little tips and hacks for how to manage based on their experiences. Your colleagues may also be able to do this, so as much as it might feel awkward now, the more you get to know them the easier the social aspect will become.

Parents sometimes don't get it. I've worked in a job before that was damaging my mental health, and my mum had the same response as your parents. Sometimes it's generational - jobs are different now to what they were in our parents day. There are more workers rights, more freedom to choose what you want to do. I'm sorry that the response was unhelpful - I can completely understand that.

I hope you are doing okay, but please do let us know if you need anything else. You can get through this.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff