View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 173,023, Level: 59 Points: 173,023, Level: 59 Points: 173,023, Level: 59

Re: Childhood ending - April 6th 2024, 11:29 PM

Hey,

It definitely is hard when you're ending a chapter of your life and entering a new one.

Do you think that it would help to take pictures of some of the things that you will miss when you are gone, such as your family, your bedroom, and places in your hometown that you really like? That way you have something nice to look at and you can think about happy memories you have associated with each of those places. With your parents, if they have smart phones or laptops with webcams you can face time them or write letters, which I know isn't the same but it is definitely a way to keep connected.

It might also be worth talking to your parents about how they feel about becoming empty nesters, and ask them to have an honest discussion with you. I'm not going to say it will be easy for your parents at first, but I bet they will adjust. They love you and are so proud of you, and I think the thing they want most in life is to see you happy doing what you want. That's what any good parent wants for their daughter. But you might be able to discuss ways to ease the transition. Maybe you can leave something behind like a stuffed animal or a piece of clothing so they have something to look at and think of you. If your grandmother is able to, you can write her letters as well. Maybe depending on financials you can set her up with a companion that comes to visit her and helps her with daily tasks. That is something available in the US, but I don't know about other countries. I know it can be expensive though if insurance doesn't cover it.

I'll let you in on something. I'm turning 28 in June and there are still things I need help with. Don't be ashamed to ask for advice, because that's how you learn. For example, your university might have career services that can help you develop a resume and cover letter (or your country's equivalent). If you have roommates it's okay to ask them how to do certain things, especially if they have lived in the country that you will be attending in before. If you're all unsure, you can learn together!

For life skills and even other things, take advantage of your parents' help and support between now and August. Need to learn how to cook? Ask your parents for some recipes and practice cooking them where they can observe. Cleaning tips? They have those too! They've been in your shoes so I bet they'd be happy to pass on some tips and tricks. I'd say the thing I wish I knew more about was budgeting, so maybe that's something to ask your parents about. I tend to spend frivolously and then it catches up to me later, so I need to learn how to stick to a budget. But my parents have helped me a lot with independence.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive