View Single Post
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: College application. - April 14th 2012, 07:51 PM

I'm glad you sorted it out, too... and for the record, I agree with Amy. As much as I'd like to believe that universities won't discriminate against people with mental illnesses, they do. The bottom-line is that they want students to stick around for the full time and graduate, because it's more money for them and better statistically (lower attrition rate). That's why universities look for a minimum GPA... if you have a low GPA, they'll question whether or not you can pass the classes, and if you can't pass the classes, you're not going to stick around for long (which means the university will get less money and have a higher attrition rate). If you have a severe mental illness that can't be treated very effectively, then the university might not want to risk giving you a chance for the same reason they wouldn't give someone with a 1.0 GPA a chance (and frankly, if you're not in a good state of mind at the moment, then perhaps you should wait a year or two before pursuing a college education - your mental well-being should ALWAYS come first, career goals can be achieved later on). If what you have can be treated with medication and therapy, then seek out those services once you arrive at university.