View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39

Re: Discrimination at work...? - June 22nd 2012, 04:22 AM

I don't see this as discrimination. Employers are allowed to have a "cut-off" when it comes to interviews, and they don't need to give you a reason why. I mean, think about it for a moment. What if you applied for a position, was invited to an interview, and then you received a call (the day before your interview) saying that the position had been filled. Would that be discrimination? No - it just wouldn't be fair. I think that's what's going on in this situation. The employer doesn't want to waste her time interviewing other people when she feels she's already picked out the three most promising candidates. That's not discriminatory at all. It would be nice if she gave you the benefit of the doubt, of course, but she doesn't HAVE to. My boyfriend is a nursing graduate, and for every 1 nursing position, there are literally 1000+ applications. It would be ridiculous for us to expect the hospital to interview every single applicant. Instead, they pick out a few candidates and interview them. I'm sorry the employer didn't stick to her promise, but that's just being a jerk, not being discriminatory. (Let's say, for argument's sake, that this WAS discrimination. How would you prove it? The answer is, you can't, so why bother pursuing the matter? Not fair? I agree - but your only choices are to keep working, quit, or sue [and fail/waste your time and money, for lack of evidence].)

Last edited by PSY; June 22nd 2012 at 04:27 AM.