Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21

Re: Religion Controls? - September 8th 2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason C. View Post
Way to be controversial. You do have a way of thinking that I hate a lot. Let's comment on the aspect's you say that are good for controlling people. "God loves you, so give Him your money" I'm pretty sure you're referencing the whole give a donation to the church thing. Think about it, the church doesn't sell anything, and it doesn't ask to pay for the service it provides. So it just ask's for simple donation's and depending on the pastor or priest. They might use God as a incentive. It's not really bad, but Atheist's like you make it seem bad. "in His love, he shall send you to a fiery pit to be tortured forever - because he's moral." Referencing Hell and that God is immoral because there is a hell. I can see where you're going with this, Atheist believe that Hell is used as an behavior modification tool. Which I don't think it is. I'm going to be brutally honest. Hell is an behavior modification tool, and for the better. Imagine if no one cared about how they treated other people and just where jerks similar to the amazing atheist. It would be bad. God doesn't want people to go to hell, that's why in the bible he encourage's his worshiper's to spread his word. That's why the bible, and pastor's use hell as a behavior modification tool. So we don't have people going to hell in the first place.
Well, if I'm honest, you did sort of ask.
And, may I just point out that whilst you say you "hate" an aspect of me, I do not hate your way of thinking. I respect and tolerate it. Maybe nothing to do with religion, but beliefs and morals, certainly.

Saying that religious organisations don't exist to sell things seems a bit narrow-minded. It might not necessarily be a materialistic thing, but they certainly sell the idea of God, taking advantage of the fear of the unknown that humans have.
And, with respect, some of the so-called "services" religion provides, like the indoctrination of young children, the condemnation of innocent groups of people, the taking advantage of the vulnerable and, over the years, the deaths of millions, are really not great or worthy of donation to support. I'd rather give the money to TeenHelp, myself (or any other charity that solely HELPS humankind).

"Atheists like me" - which, by the way, is a rather inappropriate generalisation - are entitled to our views on whether it is morally right to confuse and mislead people.

Atheists actually don't believe in Hell. Some Atheists see religious use of the concept of Hell to be used for "behaviour modification" - or as I might more bluntly put it, blackmailing - and I am one of those.

You contradict yourself somewhat in saying that you don't believe that Hel is used as a "behaviour modification tool" and then saying it is, but "for the better".

I can imagine what it might be like if no-one cared about others. But...hey, look: I'm a Humanist, so I don't believe in Hell, but I'm still a darn sight nicer than many religious people.
In a more broad sense, think how many wars have happened because of religion. Then Atheism? None.
Indeed, I feel it's fair to say that many of the greatest atrocities - physical (eg. 9/11, burning of "witches") or not (eg. condemnation of same-sex relationships/marriage) - are committed because of belief in God, not lack of it. I mean, how many Atheists can you find in the KKK?

This whole thing is somewhat ridiculous because you keep contradicting ypurself as to whether Hell (and therefore, religion) are used to control ("modify behaviour"), but I woild invite you to re-read the last few lines of your response.
God created the Bible so that people could believe in something that utterly defies what they know as scientifically-advanced, logical beings (even though an omniscient God would know they wouldn't, and an omnipotent God would just make them) so that, in his love, he could stop them from going to the Hell he created? Why doesn't he just forgive anyway? He's omnipotent. He could.
Whatever wrongs someone committed against me, I'd never send them to eternal torture over eternal happiness - I'd display mercy regardless. I think that makes me more moral than your "perfect" God.

You at times agree with me on the original point, and at others don't, but I am still very much of the opinion that religion can, and does, exist to control.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."