Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Dealing with my asinine parents - February 18th 2021, 06:43 PM

Hi,

Like everyone else has said I'm not sure on the laws where you are, and of course your age, but I do think that the belt idea sounds a bit extreme. I can definitely understand they they want you to think about your future, and the idea of getting your grades up, cutting down on bad habits and such sounds reasonable. The belt on the other hand I do find quite hard to understand, but I feel like I can justify their logic even if I don't agree with the idea itself.

It's a tricky one as it sounds to me like your parents are in shock, like a post above stated, but also as a parent, realising your child is sexually active can be a lot to take in. It is almost always inevitable, but uncomfortable nonetheless for a parent to accept. I wonder whether a conversation with them would help if you came armed with facts and awareness about what safe sex entails, and a compromise on what you plan to do in terms of grades and bad habits? Obviously I don't know your parents, but there may be a way to reason with them and let them know you're very uncomfortable with this suggestion, and that you are aware of precautions you should be taking with regards to you sex and safety. Using protection is very important, and if you and your current partner are to be sexually active, maybe even having a second form of contraception would be helpful (e.g. if she is able to see a doctor and be prescribed something). It might not help with your parents, however it would be a step in the right direction of showing maturity and planning, which could work in your favour.

I would advise that you're careful with the locations you choose however, as mentioned above it could result in you getting into trouble, not just by your parents but by other people too if it is in a public setting.

As for whether what they're asking you to do is legal, because I'm not familiar with the law there I can't comment, and it does sound an extraordinary circumstance anyway. But I would express to them in a mature as possible way that this idea doesn't sit well with you. Ultimately, parents are never entirely happy when their child grows up, especially if it seems to be impacting their future. I think the fact you've accepted that some of the things you have done need to be worked on is good, so hopefully they will see that you're willing to work on some things and be safe with others.

Sorry if this wasn't very helpful. I hope it works out for you. Take care.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff