View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: TW for family diseases: Should I talk to my family about this? - April 1st 2021, 07:25 PM

I'm sorry that you've had to find this out in the way you did. I can't imagine how hard that must be to deal with. The worry and upset you're going through must be so tough. Please know if you ever need to talk about anything you can message me any time. I'm always happy to listen if that would help at all.

I think whether you'd like to ask thm about it or not is entirely your choice, and I'm not sure there is a right or wrong thing to do in this case. Your family probably have, in their minds, a very good reason for not talking to you about it yet, which some posts above have said. They might need some time to come to terms with it and figure out how to have the conversation with you, or they might just want to protect you from worrying constantly about something that is out of your control. But understandably, this involves you too because it is your dad, and of course you love him and want him to be well. So I understand why not knowing is hard.

I think it's important to know that, regardless of whether you choose to talk to them either now or some time in the future, being upset is completely okay and understandable. Please don't feel like you can't cry. Crying is a healthy way to deal with upsetting things, and as much as it's never nice for someone who loves you to see you hurting, that doesn't mean you can't feel how you do and express it.

I think Sarah's idea of speaking to a doctor about the condition so you're more clued up is a really good one too. It'll help you prepare for what the future might hold, good or bad, but it also might offer you insights into how medicine is evolving to make life with a condition more livable and comfortable.

I hope you're doing okay. As I say, please feel free to reach out any time you like, and please know you can cry as much as you need and it will always be okay to do so. Look after yourself.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.