View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: Girlfriend & Driving - July 18th 2012, 05:27 AM

I've had friends purchase cars for under $2000 that have run just fine... so I'm not quite sure where you're getting the $5000-10000 figure from.

Like the other posters have said, it's not your responsibility to teach her how to drive. It's great that you want to help her out, but there are so many people like your girlfriend who DON'T have boyfriends, and find a way to get their driver's licenses by relying on family members and friends. Since your girlfriend lives in a dorm, I'm assuming she has roommates (or at least a few friends at her university) - why can't she ask one of them to teach her? There may also be classes offered somewhere nearby, where she could attend for a few weeks and learn the basics that way. I'm just throwing out a few more possibilities, so you'll realize this doesn't all have to fall on your shoulders. Your girlfriend is a grown woman - she can figure this out, just like you figured out how to get your driver's license, your car, and your insurance.

I'm sorry if all of this came across as a bit harsh... but if you're feeling this bad over something that isn't even your "job" to "fix," then I really do think you need to take a step back, reassess your role in all of this, and have a talk with your girlfriend about what SHE can do. This relationship isn't going to be very fulfilling if you're always trying to take care of things. It needs to be equal somehow. If she doesn't have money to contribute, then she should be making an effort to "pay you back" in some other way - for example, finding some other way to obtain her license, catching a ride with someone else to visit you, taking public transportation to visit you, going "dutch" for all your dates from now on, etc. Trust me, my boyfriend and I have struggled over finances as well. You have GOT to work out an agreement that minimizes the stress for BOTH of you. Otherwise, you'll crack, or she'll start taking you for granted, or both. None of those outcomes will be pleasant.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.