TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

My sister - August 12th 2012, 09:45 AM

I don't know what to say to her. She's mentioned before that she'd be better off dead, and that she wanted to kill herself, and while I know to not take stuff like that lightly, I thought she was just kidding.

Now though, I'm not so sure. Today my brother, as usual, was torturing her. He was being so mean, hurting her and making her feel like crap. He can be incredibly violent, so it's really hard to stop him. And my aunt and uncle can't seem to stop him.

Anyway, she ran off today after saying that she was going to kill herself and that she wished she was dead. Man, way to make me freak! I was so worried until I saw her soaked frame walk through the gate (twas raining) about an hour and a half later. I talked to her for a bit about it . . . she still kept saying over and over that she wanted to kill herself, and I'm so worried. She said she doesn't even know what stopped her from doing it today. Whatever it was, I'm so grateful.

What can I do? I don't know what to say to her to help her. I've always been sister-mummy (the nickname she gave me), the one who always knows what to do to make it better. But now, I have no idea. I've been in her place before, many times, but I still don't know what to say to her.

I can't tell my aunt because we're already a burden on them. I mean, the 3 of us - me, my brother and my sister - are all so stuffed up. We can't add this to the pile as well. I'm just so worried about her. I don't want her to do anything. She's my best friend

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: My sister - August 12th 2012, 02:19 PM

That sounds like a lot to take on. It's a good thing you're taking your sister seriously and realize the need to do something about it. I think the most important thing you can do is tell someone about this. You said not your aunt and uncle, but maybe there's another trusted adult you could go to? What about a counselor at your sister's school, a teacher, a neighbor, etc? You could also call one of the suicide hotlines or have your sister call. But don't forget that you can help her too. You may not always know what to say, but just try to be there for her. Show her that you understand and make sure she knows how much you care about her. Sometimes actions can speak more than words. You're a great sister for helping her; don't give up. Also, here are some pages that might help you. The first is a list of who can help, the second is a list of hotlines you can call. I hope this helps.
http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f11-d...o-can-help-me/
http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f3-general/t22-hotlines/

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: My sister - August 12th 2012, 06:39 PM

Hi there.

Firstly, you sound like a lovely sister and friend. Your sister is lucky to have you there for her.

I agree with what has already been said; you need to tell someone. I know you feel like you can't tell your Aunt and Uncle and I don't know why you're in the care of them but they care for you and look after you all because they love you and what's what is best for each of you. I honestly think they'd be happy that you felt you could talk to them and yes, while it might make them upset and worried I honestly think they'd want you to be honest about what's been going on so that they can help and support your sister and to make sure she's safe and well. If you really don't feel you can tell them is there someone else such a another family member/friend or a school nurse of even a teacher? All these people can help and support you both but they can only do so if they know what is going on for you both.

Have you tried encouraging your sister to talk to someone or even offering to go with her to someone such as a teacher to talk about things? This could be a good idea but if she says no, I still think you need to tell someone to ensure her safety.

You can be there for her as much as you can be and you can let her talk to you and you can even help her stay distracted but ultimately she's the one who has to change and its okay for you to try and support her but you need to look after yourself as well because you too, are important in this. If you feel it's getting to much, don't push yourself. Even though its nice of you to be there and support her, its not your job to take so much responsibility and its okay to let other people in to help.

You can both do this so keep on smiling
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: My sister - August 13th 2012, 08:26 AM

Thanks

I'm trying to just be there for her and distracting her. But I think I do need to tell someone. And I know I said that I couldn't tell my aunt or uncle, but I guess they probably are the best people to talk to about this, seeing how they're there all the time. And also, my aunt's a counselor, so that should help. But I'm scared of talking to them. I know I should, for her sake, but I don't want my sis to be annoyed or upset with me, and I dunno what to say.

I'm trying not to take too much responsibility over this . . . seeing how I tend to do that a lot. My sister's nickname for me is sister-mummy (guess where that came from), which fits me perfectly.

I'm just so worried about her . . .

Closed Thread