TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
I've been here a while

Name: Hailey

I'm worried that my friend might be depressed - September 28th 2012, 03:45 AM

Ok, this might be long, sorry...
I'm not really sure what to do about my friend, or if I should do anything...
For this entire school year (we're in high school), and several months last year also, she's just acted really depressed. She acts so sad literally all the time, and she snaps at people and gets frustrated and annoyed really easily. I haven't seen her happy in a long time. Pretty much every day, she makes some comment at least once along the lines of wanting to die, or how dying "actually wouldn't be so terrible," or how she wants to "jump off a cliff." I can't tell if she's joking or if she seriously wants to die/kill herself, because she kind of laughs when she says it. Another problem: The only person she will talk to about "her issues" (quoted) is this other friend, who won't tell me any details about the issues but says that I should be worried about her (again, idk how worried exactly...). She also told me that my friend has really low self esteem. My friend said that she pretends to be fine around her family.
Basically, my friend *seems* depressed, but I can't really tell if it's "depression" or if she's just really unhappy/stressed about boy problems or something, since she's so secretive. I really don't want her to kill herself, and then wish I had taken her more seriously, u know? And I'm worried that my other friend who basically knows everything about her wouldn't say anything even if she was depressed/suicidal.
Sorry, this is long...I'm just worried and I don't know what to do or think...my friend will DEFINITELY be really mad at me if I tell an adult or something. So...some advice would be awesome right now.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
It's Magic Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tess

Re: I'm worried that my friend might be depressed - September 28th 2012, 03:54 AM

She really sounds highly depressed. When she says things about killing herself; that's a cry for help. She really wants help, but she's scared to ask for it; probably for a lot of reasons. I really think that this other friend of hers needs to speak up, because she obviously seems to trust her. I think maybe you should talk to her other friend about what's going on again, and tell her that you think it's time that your friend gets some help. Maybe the two of you could talk to a school counselor about what's happening? Or talk to her parents? Either way; someone really needs to help her before it's too late. <3

~ ~ ~ i just don't t h i n k that they'd understand ...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
I've been here a while

Name: Hailey

Re: I'm worried that my friend might be depressed - September 28th 2012, 04:14 AM

Thank you so much! I do kind of feel like I should tell an adult what's going on...I'm just worried that she'll be mad at me, or that I'll feel stupid saying anything because she isn't actually going to kill herself and then everyone will think I'm overreacting. Maybe I could tell an adult (I was thinking my mom, or this teacher at school, because he knows her) and have them just help me kind of "keep an eye on her" or something, but not tell her that I said anything about it? Anyway, thank you so much...and this is actually the first time I've EVER posted anything on a forum and gotten a nice response

Closed Thread