TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kenz1e Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I think I have depression... - September 28th 2012, 10:06 PM

It's been a few years of feeling like I'm worthless and ugly and stupid and selfish etc. but it has only properly affected me most recently. I have been feeling like it would be better off if I didn't exist or of I was gone, and because I promised people I wouldn't self harm, I dig my nails into my arm. A few days ago I took a test on the NHS website and I got 25/27; it told me I may have some kind of depression, but it's not a very accurate test. I don't want to tell my parents coz they're not the most understanding people, and I just don't know what to do...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
meg2189 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Meg

Re: I think I have depression... - September 29th 2012, 12:58 AM

Hello, Kenz1e. It does sound like you may be struggling with some depression. There is a difference between being "sad" and being clinically depressed. Everyone has down days, but the main symptom of clinical depression is chronic, extended periods of sadness, usually accompanied by serious fatigue and/or a loss of interest in things that may have been important or fun for you before. So first, you need to be completely honest with yourself and make a self-evaluation. If you still feel like you are experiencing these symptoms, then the most important thing to know is that clinical depression is a legitimate illness included in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders--which means that you are not crazy or just being "over dramatic".

That being said, even if you're not sure whether or not you're experiencing depression, you may want to talk to your school/work counselour or some equivalent; most schools and/or work places offer such resources specifically for people in your position. Your counselour should be able to help you formulate one options, such as counseling, or may even be able to help broach the subject with your parents. There are two general methods of treatment for depression: counseling and/or medication, and it would really depend on which you were more comfortable with, as different methods work for different people.

In any case, I ardently urge you to take action now regarding these feelings, particularly if they seem to get worse. Remember that you are not alone and that there are ALWAYS options.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: I think I have depression... - September 29th 2012, 02:12 AM

Hey, welcome to the site, firstly.

Secondly: Depression is very serious and you need to tell someone, maybe not your parents first, maybe another adult you trust. Don't stress about it, it only makes it worse.
If you need to talk, send me a PM/VM, but only if you want to

Keep strong,

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kenz1e Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I think I have depression... - September 29th 2012, 10:58 PM

Thank you for your help... it means a lot <33

-Kenz1e x

(#5 (permalink)) Old
wommy Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Angela

Re: I think I have depression... - September 30th 2012, 02:35 AM

When I read your post, my mouth literally feel open, because I've been through exactly what you're dealing with. I feel exactly like you do, and the back of my hands are always red from my nails. However, there is hope. You may hear that a lot, but it's true. There is hope out there, and the big thing is to never give up. If I'm still here, you should be too(: You got this Kenz1e<3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kenz1e Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I think I have depression... - September 30th 2012, 05:44 PM

Thank you... I mean - it's good to know I'm not alone <3 I'm just trying to find some hope and cling onto it till I get to a better place xx

(#7 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Re: I think I have depression... - September 30th 2012, 06:03 PM

Hey kenz1e.
I wanted to thank you for posting this. I'm in your almost exactly same position, and this helped me a lot too. I hope you get the help you need, and life looks up for you soon.
You can do this.
Stay strong, <3
~paula

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
wommy Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Angela

Re: I think I have depression... - September 30th 2012, 10:51 PM

You'll do fine(: Trust me(:

Closed Thread