TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Haunted Offline
STAR GAZER
Average Joe

Name: Serena

Unhappy I may suffer from depression - January 12th 2013, 10:04 PM

I am really confused.
My mom thinks I suffer from depression and I think it too, but I don't know what to do. I mean, I've been seeing a therapist since October, but I hate her. I hate the way she talks, the way she acts, the way she doesn't help me... she says talking helps, but it doesn't. If talking really helped, I wouldn't have any problems now. I don't want to see her anymore.
Anyway, my mom told my teachers that I suffer from depression and 3 of them asked for a medical certificate, but the therapist hasn't done anything about it because she can't (she can't give me a certificate). I am afraid I have to go to a real doctor, but here comes another problem.
My mother doesn't want me to take any kind of pills. She has bought 3 different types of natural tranquilizers plus some pills for mood swings (that's ridiculous though because I don't suffer from mood swings and stuff). One of the tranquilizers works, but everything else is completely useless. I am afraid that my mom doesn't want to take me to the doctor's because she's afraid I'll have to take pills.
Honestly, I don't want to ask her to take me to a psychiatrist, but I want to know what's happening, because things get harder every day.
I am starting to feel depressed all day long, I always want to cry, I never want to be around people, I am starting to fake smiles with my friends... things are getting worse and I don't know what to do.

MONACHOPSIS
the subtle but persistent feeling of being out of place, as maladapted to your surroundings as a seal on a beach—lumbering, clumsy, easily distracted, huddled in the company of other misfits, unable to recognize the ambient roar of your intended habitat, in which you’d be fluidly, brilliantly, effortlessly at home.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: I may suffer from depression - January 12th 2013, 10:43 PM

Hi there,

I think it's good you've been seeing a therapist. For some people talking can help and some people find therapies such as CBT helpful. Are you having counselling or are you having therapy such as CBT or DBT? These things take time. You've been seeing this therapist for a very short space of time. Honestly, I think you need to keep going a little longer because you're only in your third month of therapy and even though it's a little annoying, most people tend to be in therapy longer than that and if it hasn't helped you yet, there is still a chance it will. On the other hand, if you're not getting on with your therapist, talk to them, tell them this so both of you can come up with a new working technique. If that doesn't help either, then look into seeing a different therapist. Different people get on with different therapists and you have to fine someone you work well with.

A therapist can not diagnose you with a mental health illness because they simply aren't trained to do so. So I am guessing that you haven't actually been diagnosed with depression or any other mental health illness and therefore of course you can't give a certificate to your teachers because you're not diagnosed. If you want a diagnoses, you will need to see a psychiatrist and chances are they will do an assessment on you and this can take a good few months. They need to get to know you and the problems you're facing to ensure they are giving you a correct diagnoses. Unless you see one, you won't get a diagnoses.

Do you want to be on medication? Honestly, do you want to see a psych, have an assesment, get a diagnoses and start medication and to continue in therapy? Because if you so, I suggest you sit and talk to your mum about this. Of course she can have a say, but she needs to hear what you want too. Even though you're still young, I still think your mum needs to understand what you want in your health care. She may continue to disagree but I think talking to her about it would be a good step in the right direction.

I know this is all really hard for you right now and I know it's tiring, but it can get better. But you need to know it's going to take time and you're going to have to work really hard to get through this. Honestly, you can do it if you want to and if you set your mind to it and you are worth it. This fight will be worth it.

Stay smiling,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Haunted Offline
STAR GAZER
Average Joe

Name: Serena

Re: I may suffer from depression - January 12th 2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
Hi there,

I think it's good you've been seeing a therapist. For some people talking can help and some people find therapies such as CBT helpful. Are you having counselling or are you having therapy such as CBT or DBT? These things take time. You've been seeing this therapist for a very short space of time. Honestly, I think you need to keep going a little longer because you're only in your third month of therapy and even though it's a little annoying, most people tend to be in therapy longer than that and if it hasn't helped you yet, there is still a chance it will. On the other hand, if you're not getting on with your therapist, talk to them, tell them this so both of you can come up with a new working technique. If that doesn't help either, then look into seeing a different therapist. Different people get on with different therapists and you have to fine someone you work well with.

A therapist can not diagnose you with a mental health illness because they simply aren't trained to do so. So I am guessing that you haven't actually been diagnosed with depression or any other mental health illness and therefore of course you can't give a certificate to your teachers because you're not diagnosed. If you want a diagnoses, you will need to see a psychiatrist and chances are they will do an assessment on you and this can take a good few months. They need to get to know you and the problems you're facing to ensure they are giving you a correct diagnoses. Unless you see one, you won't get a diagnoses.

Do you want to be on medication? Honestly, do you want to see a psych, have an assesment, get a diagnoses and start medication and to continue in therapy? Because if you so, I suggest you sit and talk to your mum about this. Of course she can have a say, but she needs to hear what you want too. Even though you're still young, I still think your mum needs to understand what you want in your health care. She may continue to disagree but I think talking to her about it would be a good step in the right direction.

I know this is all really hard for you right now and I know it's tiring, but it can get better. But you need to know it's going to take time and you're going to have to work really hard to get through this. Honestly, you can do it if you want to and if you set your mind to it and you are worth it. This fight will be worth it.

Stay smiling,
Jessie
I am not diagnosed, just like you said. I don't really want to take medication, but I do want to know if I suffer from depression. I am afraid that my mother won't let me go see a psychiatrist because she's afraid he'll give me pills. But my teachers asked for a certificate and a diagnosis and I think that the right thing to do is find out if I do suffer from depression, because I am tired of being sick of my life without knowing why this is happening.

MONACHOPSIS
the subtle but persistent feeling of being out of place, as maladapted to your surroundings as a seal on a beach—lumbering, clumsy, easily distracted, huddled in the company of other misfits, unable to recognize the ambient roar of your intended habitat, in which you’d be fluidly, brilliantly, effortlessly at home.

Closed Thread