TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fearless01 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Am I depressed? - March 9th 2013, 12:27 AM

I kinda feel depressed, but I don't know if I am. Sometimes I feel really happy and I'm hyper, and sometimes I feel normal. But whenever someone criticizes me or something I get really mad and yell, then I feel depressed again. I can't really control these anger outbursts and afterwards everything annoys me. Sometimes I feel like suicide is the only way to escape this, but I don't think I'll attempt it. I feel like I'm crazy and I'm afraid to tell anyone because my family likes to joke about depression. I feel like I'm also developing an eating disorder because I binge eat, then I feel really guilty and have an urge to exercise to get rid of the calories. Sometimes I skip meals to make sure I don't eat too many calories. I'm sorry this is so long, I just needed to tell someone what I'm going through.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Am I depressed? - March 9th 2013, 12:49 AM

Nobody on here can tell you if you have depression or not considering we are not doctors. However I think there could be a great chance that there is something wrong with you like depression. I suggest you talk to your family even though you say they joke about depression I would still talk to them and tell them how you feel so you can get some help. And if you ever need to talk know I'm always just a pm or vm away

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Am I depressed? - March 9th 2013, 04:06 AM

Hi, there!

Frankie's right, we can't tell you if you have depression or not. Although, honestly, I feel the same way you do. My moods can be so unpredictable and little things set me off. So I'm really sorry you go through that. I know how frustrating and depressing it can get. One thing I do, I try to distract myself and listen to music and play a game. Sometimes if I'm really upset, I'll go to a room by myself and process thoughts. Then I feel a little better. Crying can help to relieve the stress as well, so don't be afraid to do that when you're upset. One thing to consider, I've thought about it when trying to match my feelings. Bipolar disorder, which is extreme mood changes. Maybe you could look up the symptoms? But you know, it could just be those pesky teenage hormones, you may not have anything wrong with you. Doesn't mean your feelings should be taken for granted though.

Suicide is not the answer and I'm glad to hear you most likely won't attempt it, when you get those suicidal thoughts, just keep in mind that things do get better. The future holds good things. Remember that this storm will eventually pass with time. Even though these feelings and issues are a big problem right now, keep reminding yourself that there's more to life than these bad feelings. They aren't everything.

Something that may help you to control it, is when someone tells you something that upsets you. Remove yourself from the situation instead of talking and do something relaxing that you enjoy. Get a glass of tea, sit down and process. Another thing, diet, sleep, and other stress in life has a lot to do with moods and anger outbursts. Is anything bothering you personally? Are you getting enough sleep? Sun is also good, sunlight increases a natural chemical in your brain to induce happiness. So take walks often, they can be very refreshing and a good way to clear your mind.

I'm sorry your family pokes fun at depression. It's serious so it's nothing to joke about. Can you still try and talk to them? Through a letter or text? They may have a different opinion if it's someone close to them such as you. They might listen if you explain it's serious. It's an option worth trying, right? =) Can you talk to any friends or relatives? Or a teacher/school counselor? I was hoping that maybe if you talked with your family, maybe you could get a therapist, maybe they could help you in learning to cope with these feelings? Everything's worth a try to see if it works. There's always hope. And another helpful thing, writing your feelings in a journal or writing poems/short stories that express yourself can help as well.

I'm here if you need someone to talk to, hun. Remember that the rainbow is always around the corner after the storm. Don't lose hope! Things get better.

Stay Strong <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
jhend.hardison Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Am I depressed? - March 11th 2013, 06:10 PM

You show some symptoms of depression but it doesn't mean you are really depressed, if you would like to know the right answer, consulting a doctor may be the best one.

Suicide is not the answer, in fact if we fail in committing suicide, we are the one who will suffer for the consequences. Living in this world is still fun if we know how to appreciate every little things around us.

Is there a particular incident happened to you which might be the cause of what you feel right now?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fearless01 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Am I depressed? - March 11th 2013, 07:59 PM

It's just so many things. My little sister likes to annoy me and she calls me fat all the time. I have selective mutism, so it's really hard for me to talk to some people. School is really stressing me out, and I've been missing a lot because I have an inner ear infection that won't go away. I just feel like I'm making everyone's life worse. I also feel like I'm the reason why my family doesn't have much money.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Am I depressed? - March 11th 2013, 09:35 PM

Hi there

Well done for reaching out to us here - it isn't easy but be proud of yourself! Being open is the first step to helping bring everything under control. Just to echo what the others have said - we aren't doctors so we cannot diagnose you here.

I think it would be a good idea for you to book an appointment with your doctor as they are the best people to see in the first instance. They will be able to offer some support and suggestions themselves for how you could help manage how you sometimes feel. Christabel suggested some good suggestions of how you could maybe start to manage how you feel when your mood suddenly changes, try some of those out? Remember to look after yourself and treat yourself too. If you are upset by something, maybe you could spend some time listening to music, going for a walk, writing your feelings down? Taking some time out to look after yourself could be really beneficial and may help lift your mood again

They may also offer to refer you to a counsellor (in the UK, each GP surgery has a counsellor that comes in and works with patients). You might find that helpful as it means you can talk to someone in real life about things and situations and work through them. It might be that could help you. How would you feel about something like that? If you find your family aren't supportive or don't understand, having support from somewhere else like your GP or a counsellor or someone similar could be really useful for you.

With regards to how your family laugh about depression, many people laugh and joke about things that they don't understand. Like Christabel said, if they realise that it affects someone in their family, they will most likely change how they react and may look it up. If not, maybe you could print them off or show them some webpages that explain depression a bit more, to try and help them understand? Or do you think if you spoke to one member of your family or a friend, they could be there when you tell another? Or they may be able to tell them for you, depending how you are feeling. I have found things so much easier since my parents found out (I never thought I'd say this!), but it's true. They love you and care about you and would want to know how they could help you. They would be gutted if anything ever happened to you and they knew nothing about it.

I hope this has helped a little bit, Christabel offered some really good advice of how you could deal with your mood suddenly changing, so try some of it out if you can

Take care of yourself and feel free to message me anytime if you'd like to chat.

Anna, <3

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread