TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
irrele Offline
The dedicated few
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Luke

Question RE: bringing back happiness ? - March 20th 2013, 02:07 PM

Hi there, well i guess the title isn't very descriptive so i'll say what i mean.

I did what people told me to do, i went to the doctors and they told me i scored almost maximum for severe depression and i was given pills to take. So i've been doing that and for the first week i felt happier i guess but it's the second week now and i feel like i did before i took them... i rejected councelling because i'm not ready to talk to people about my problems and these pills aren't enough.

just wandering general opinion on keeping a person in contact who pushed me to self harm, i mean it's not as simple as no because when i'm going to sleep the thought of her comforts me and the same when i wake up but when i think about talking to her again idk... maybe i'm just hoping for something that will never happen.

hide those feelings behind that mask and show them the things they can't hurt !
  Send a message via Skype™ to irrele 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: bringing back happiness ? - March 20th 2013, 03:04 PM

You're talking about depression and medication so my guess is that you've been put on anti-depressants however, they generally take a good 6 weeks to start working and up to a good 12 until you start to see there full affect.

Counseling is hard and I see so many people write on here that they have said no to referrals because they don't feel ready but I really can't help but ask whether anyone in the world is ever well and truly ready for counseling. When ever you go in to it, it's going to be hard and painful and it's always going to get worse before better but in the long run, people do find it helpful. No, not everyone, but maybe it's something you really need to think about.

Remember we're always here.
Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
irrele Offline
The dedicated few
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: bringing back happiness ? - March 21st 2013, 12:23 AM

have you ever been ? If it's like a room full of people who are all sharing their feelings that's the type of thing that i'm going to avoid completely but that's just my guess since i've never been.

still to the last part of my original post an opinion on that would be helpfull

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: bringing back happiness ? - March 21st 2013, 12:51 AM

If you're talking about group therapy, then you don't necessarily have to do this. There is also one-on-one counseling that you can do. All counselors have a bit different tactics they can use but in the end they try to be accommodating to a specific person's needs. For instance mine allows me to write out my feelings in a journal before going to the session because she knows I communicate better through writing. If something doesn't work for you let the counselor know so they can change what they are doing and be more helpful. They will try to get to the root of some of your problems and help you solve them, and while it can be scary or difficult at first it can be beneficial.

As for staying in contact with that friend I think you should think about some of the results it may have. For instance, you said that she pushed you to self harm. What if something similar happens again? You don't deserve to be pushed or pressured into self harm or any other activity similar to it, so if you think you'd run the risk of that happening again, then maybe it is best not to. A true friend wouldn't push someone into self harming. Maybe you can make a pros and cons list of the reasons why you shouldn't or should make contact with her, though, and see what outweighs the other.

-Dez

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: bringing back happiness ? - March 21st 2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrele View Post
have you ever been ? If it's like a room full of people who are all sharing their feelings that's the type of thing that i'm going to avoid completely but that's just my guess since i've never been.

still to the last part of my original post an opinion on that would be helpfull
Group therapy, yes. I went to a DBT group will I was in in-patient and it was scary but I had nothing to lose and I decided it was time I started to try to help myself so I did try it. I've also had 1-2-1 counselling which is actually what I thought you should think about anyway. You don't have to go into group therapy if you want 1-2-1. You can have a say in your treatment.

Sorry I didn't reply to the last bit. Parts of it didn't seem to quite make sense to me. I guess it depends on how this person pushed you to self harm. I mean, I guess my point is, you choose to self harm so this person must have done something pretty awful to push you to the limit where you feel you need to hurt yourself, you know? If you want to talk about what happened, know we're here.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#6 (permalink)) Old
irrele Offline
The dedicated few
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: bringing back happiness ? - March 22nd 2013, 01:39 AM

i dont know what to think, i can explain it in more detail more privately i don't wish to post it publicly though

Closed Thread