TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Alana M. F.

Does this count as an attempt, SH or nothing? - April 24th 2013, 10:33 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So... My 2 best friends are fighting... And I thought if I sat them down and talked to them that it might help... But it just made things worse. Both of them ended in tears and the only reason I wasn't crying was coz I don't cry in front of others... I felt so bad. One of them had a rope around their neck, and I took it off them, the other one tried to take it off me. I went outside with the 1 that tried to take it off me, and I ran off. She got my other friend and they came after me. I put the rope around my neck and pulled. One of them had left to go back, and the other one didn't notice (it was dark out).

My face started to hurt and it grew harder to breathe. I pulled tighter, and my mouth fell open a bit, my lips were starting to tingle, like they were going numb... I couldn't swallow. I pulled tighter and my face (especially my jaw) started hurting even more. The only part of my face I could feel was the pain. I couldn't breathe well, I made no noise at all during this. Then, after I started to feel dizzy, I took the rope away... I want to do it again, I like the pain...

Anyways, is that a suicide attempt, self harm or is it nothing?

Andy Biersack

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Does this count as an attempt, SH or nothing? - April 24th 2013, 12:18 PM

Definitely to me sounds like a suicide attempt. Please becareful and if you ever feel like doing something like that again talk to someone!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FixYou♥ Offline
I can't get enough

Name: taylor

Re: Does this count as an attempt, SH or nothing? - April 24th 2013, 02:59 PM

Hey Alana,

I'm sorry all of this went on, it doesn't sound like an easy time for any of you. Especially if you're doing something this extreme, and honestly, if you're all having this sort of drama at age 12, then there's a need of a long discussion between all of you that needs to be happening. This should not be an option for anyone, any day.

To answer your question, it could be a suicide attempt if you look at it one way, and SH if you look at it another way. It all depends on what you were going for by doing that, was it for the pain, or was it in hopes of dying? Wanting to do it again because you like the feeling makes it sound like SH, but to the point where you're upset and want to die, then it becomes a suicide attempt.

I hope this helped.

Stay Strong -Tay

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Does this count as an attempt, SH or nothing? - April 24th 2013, 08:57 PM

I agree with Tay. It depends on why you were doing it. Were you trying to self harm, or did you have the intent to take your life?

Please, don't do that again. I wouldn't want you to get hurt. You can view the self-harm alternatives thread instead of inflicting harm to yourself.

You don't deserve to feel this way.

Stay strong.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Does this count as an attempt, SH or nothing? - April 25th 2013, 04:04 AM

Aww, Alana.

I'm so sorry, hun. You must have been really upset either way. It depends on what you were aiming for by doing it. If you did it to feel pain, then that makes it self-harm. If you did it with the intention of dying, then it was a suicide attempt.

Next time, please don't try this. It's extremely dangerous and you could lose your life to it. Don't you wanna grow up and see the world? Experience new things? Don't lose that beautiful opportunity at life, sweetie. No matter how hard things are. Can you talk to an adult about what upsets you to wanna hurt yourself?

Stay Strong <3

Closed Thread