TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
elliot2 Offline
elliot
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: elliot

I don't know what to do. - August 14th 2015, 11:25 PM

I've been suffering from depression for about 4 years now. And right now i think I've hit my lowest point. I've been to the doctors and I saw one councilor for about 2 years and I was signed off by her as she believed I was ok again. But a few months ago I went back to the doctors and they refers me to another mental health clinic however when I went there I was told that these feelings are part of growing up which I personally think is a disgusting thing to say! But right now I am struggling so...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: I don't know what to do. - August 15th 2015, 12:17 AM

Hi, Elliot!

First off, I can understand how when you've been struggling with these feelings for so long that hearing someone say that would be frustrating and hurtful. The thing is, hormones can play a big part in how a person feels. Which is why many assume that when a younger person is struggling with difficult feelings, that it's simply a part of growing up. While that may be true for some, it may not be true for others. Sometimes it helps to understand why a person says the things they do, because it may just mean they don't understand the subject thoroughly themselves, you know?

Have you been properly diagnosed with depression by a professional? You mentioned that you've been to the doctors and have seen a counselor for quite awhile. That's great that you've reached out and that you tried reaching out again a couple months ago, although I'm sorry you had a negative experience that time. Try not to let that discourage you again. Since you're still struggling, I recommend seeking help by seeing a therapist. Perhaps a therapist would be beneficial for you right now.

In the meantime, don't be afraid to resort to self-help methods such as expressing your feelings in healthy ways and distracting yourself with hobbies you enjoy. Do you journal? Journaling can be a therapeutic and helpful way to help you express and process your thoughts and feelings. Creative hobbies can be a therapeutic outlet as well. Overall, search for things that you enjoy that both take up your spare time and allow you to feel better upon letting your feelings out, you know?

Perhaps setting up a schedule in your life to stick to might be beneficial as well? When a person is depressed, they may not feel like doing even simple things. But it can be helpful to try your best to do them. Such as daily moderate exercise, sunlight, a healthy diet and a proper sleep pattern. I'm not a doctor of course, but for a lot of people, staying healthy physically and taking care of yourself can help you feel a little bit better.

Since you were previously seeing a counselor, I was wondering if you have opened up to anyone in your personal life about your depression? The support from someone close to you could be rather helpful. Whether it be your parents, a friend or family member. Anyone you feel close to and trust. Don't be afraid to reach out to them to have someone listen and offer their comfort to you. Having someone to talk to can help a lot.

Even though you're going through a hard time, always keep holding on and keep fighting because recovery is possible. You can do this.

Let me know if you need anything, Elliot. Take care and stay strong!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: I don't know what to do. - August 17th 2015, 05:36 PM

I know that things are tough for you, and that something started your depression. the key is to find out what started it, and work at removing it from there. There's no point questioning yourself, no point thinking too much about what has happened because you've so much to live for, so much to look forward to. Any bad company you have will disappear, any negative feelings you have will eventually be overcome. All you've to do is to fill up your time doing things that you wanna do which are safe and enjoyable, as well as help out other people and do things which will enable you to once again realize that you are powerful, and that you deserve better than what you are currently getting.

If you wanna rant and have a heart-to-heart talk, i'll be here. I won't judge. Talk to me anytime

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

Closed Thread