TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
house-of-usher Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lilly

It's my birthday and all I can do is cry - August 26th 2015, 09:34 PM

Well it is my 18th birthday and I feel like shit. It never seems to mean anything to my family. They don't ever do anything for it. I've always hated my birthday in the first place though. I don't know what to do to feel happy.

Life is like a rollercoaster. There are ups and downs, but you don't let those ups and downs stop you in your tracks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: It's my birthday and all I can do is cry - August 26th 2015, 10:41 PM

Lilly... happy birthday! Perhaps those around you don't do much for you on your birthday, but we'll throw you a TeenHelp party with cake and balloons.

In all seriousness, I'm really sorry that you feel like crying on your birthday and that your family doesn't do anything for your birthday. I can see how that all on its own would be really upsetting to you, I would feel the same. What about this; even if your family misses out on a great opportunity to celebrate your birthday with you, that doesn't mean you can't celebrate it, you know? You could do something nice for yourself and spend the day in a way that makes you happy. Buy yourself something nice that you've wanted for awhile, paint your nails, wear an outfit that makes you feel confident, take a bubble bath, have a favorite snack and warm beverage, do a favorite hobby of yours etc. Just take a day to do what makes you happy and pamper yourself! Are there any parks near you? Take a relaxing walk just between you and nature, take in the fresh air, sunlight and embrace the scenery of the flowers.

Does your family just not celebrate birthdays in general? If it's only a few people (including you) who's birthdays they don't do much for then that sounds quite unfair. Would you consider bringing this up to your family about how it upsets you? You can explain that you aren't asking for them to go all out, but you'd appreciate acknowledgement or an effort to make your birthday a happy one. Even something simple that doesn't cost that much money like having a nice home-cooked family dinner in celebration of your birthday or even going to the park to have a picnic and you could even do the same for them on their birthdays in appreciation.

Even though today has been hard for you, I still want to wish you a happy birthday from me and on behalf of TeenHelp, Lilly. I really hope the rest of your day is better.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: Kay

Re: It's my birthday and all I can do is cry - August 27th 2015, 01:55 AM

Happy birthday, Lily. Like Ellie said, we'll throw you a TeenHelp birthday party. <3

But, I am really really sorry that you feel like crying on your birthday. I can understand how upsetting it must be for you that your family does not celebrate your birthday. But that does not mean you should not celebrate it. It's your birthday and you totally deserve to be pampered and you should definitely pamper yourself. Gift yourself something you have wanted from ages, go out for dinner and if you are not comfortable you could always get take away and eat while you watch your favorite movie. If you enjoy cooking, you could make yourself your favorite meal. You could either take a walk or watch a marathon of your favorite movies. Basically, just do what you enjoy, what makes you happy.

I would consider bringing it up with your family about how this upsets. But I will totally understand if you don't feel comfortable. Do your family celebrate other's birthdays or don't they just celebrate birthdays? If they don't maybe you could do something special for their birthdays just so they realize what they have been missing until then.

I can understand this day must be hard for you, but I hope you decide to do something for yourself so you feel a little happier. Once again, a very happy birthday. <3

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: It's my birthday and all I can do is cry - August 27th 2015, 02:22 PM

I'm sorry to hear your birthday is depressing for you. I used to feel the same way; now, it's more of a "just another day" type of thing, so it's not a big deal for me, either. I hope you found a way to enjoy yourself, if even just a little.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: It's my birthday and all I can do is cry - August 28th 2015, 11:15 PM

Hey,

Sorry this is a few days late! It sucks to hear that your birthday wasn't very good. It can be a horrible day when nobody is there to celebrate with you, so I'm really sorry thats how it seemed. There's nothing to stop you making it enjoyable in the future though. Your family might not be so keen on the idea of celebrating, but what about your friends? If you have a small group of close friends, maybe organise a late birthday day out! Go bowling or shopping, maybe see a film or a play and treat yourself a bit. Friends can make birthdays seem a lot less lonely. Otherwise, there's nothing to stop you treating yourself anyway! Buy yourself a new t-shirt or pair of shoes. Do your hair nicely and give yourself a reason to smile regardless of everyone taking them away. It's your 18th! It's a big year and you're almost an adult. Pretty soon you'll be able to do whatever you want for your birthday and enjoy it without people getting you down, but for now, make a start on that!

I hope you're doing a bit better now. If you need to talk, please let me know. And of course, happy birthday for the other day!

Take care.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: It's my birthday and all I can do is cry - August 30th 2015, 03:16 PM

Hi there,

Firstly, I want to wish you a very Happy Birthday and I hope you've had a better day than you were expecting. The others are right. Do something nice for yourself. Paint your nails, go shopping with a friend, watch your fave movie with some popcorn or get snuggled into bed with a book and listen to music, you know? I am sorry your family don't seem to celebrate your birthday? Is it just your birthday they don't celebrate or everyone's? Is there a reason they don't celebrate it?

I know it must be really hard but you can do this okay? Stay strong and keep your head high. I am so glad you have gotten to 18 years of age. You have come so far and can keep going. Honestly though, do something nice for yourself, Jump in the bath with bubbles, relax and put a movie on with nibbles or something. You'll get through this and we're here to help you so feel free to talk to us about anything, any time.

Jessie <3

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: It's my birthday and all I can do is cry - August 31st 2015, 10:11 AM

i want to wish you a happy birthday and i think that you should just remember that you're a special person, and your birthday is a very special occasion. And you don't need an excuse to be happy, cause everyone deserves to be happy.

And i think that you can give yourself reasons to be happy, as well as do things that make you happy.. and laugh a lot. laughter is the spice of life. Think positively.. its your day, and you are so loved.

We'll always be here. Always.

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

Closed Thread