TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Chaotic_ Offline
Average Joe

Name: Cass

stupid question. - February 3rd 2017, 10:07 PM

So, I'm really struggling with stuff that is school related.
It's causing my anxiety and depression to go crazy.
I don't have access to my counselor for three weeks - would it be bad to stop into the colleges campus counselors office and talk to her, even if I already have a counselor.
I know typically you aren't supposed to have to have two counselors, as it can make the recovery process worse.
But since it's academic, would it be wrong?

I obviously could also talk to the disabilities lady at my school but I don't know if her advice would be as helpful.

I really just don't know what to do.
I am feeling so down.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: stupid question. - February 3rd 2017, 10:15 PM

Hey,
I am sorry you are having so much trouble in school. I know exactly how that feels. I am having a lot of panic attacks and dissociation. I have a service dog that I am going to bring to school starting Monday.

But what I would do is maybe go to your health center and see if you can make an appointment with one of the counselors that are there just so you have someone to talk to for now. The academic counselor can maybe help since it is school related but they may not have much info on your anxiety and stuff.

I would suggest if you are a disabled student and have those accommodations and stuff then you could talk to one of the councilors there and see if they can help you with your anxiety and stress.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount16

Edit avatar

Re: stupid question. - February 3rd 2017, 11:51 PM

Hi, Cass.

I'm sorry you're struggling in school. What you're asking isn't a stupid question at all. Honestly, I think it's good you recognize you need help and are thinking of reaching out. That's very positive, Cass. As for your question, I don't think it'd be bad. Counselors are there to help you. This counselor may have different opinions, views and ideas than your other counselor so keep that in mind.

If it'd make you feel better, you could put it out there initially upon first talking to your campus counselor that you are seeing a different counselor regularly. You could go on to explain that she's away for a few weeks and you're struggling greatly due to academic reasons, and ask her if it'd be okay to talk to her about your struggles in the meantime. That may help for reassurance. Assuming she's fine with it, you could add that you appreciate her being there to talk to.

Since school is one of the causes that is making your depression and anxiety worsen, the disability lady may be helpful to talk to since she likely speaks to many students who are stressed in school and as a result, has worsening mental health issues. Another thing to consider is, have you seen/spoken to your campus counselor or the lady in disabilities before? If so, which one do you feel you'd be more comfortable talking to? That matters too since you'd get more out of opening up if you felt comfortable enough to go into what you're struggling with.

I'm hoping you find someone you can speak to and that helps you. I wish you the best of luck, Cass! Let us know how you're doing.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Chaotic_ Offline
Average Joe

Re: stupid question. - February 4th 2017, 12:28 AM

I just talked with the disability lady today but that was about an internship that I have to get done. I told her that I was doing fine in all of my classes which was true. I really just snapped this afternoon due to the amount of pressure that I'm under.

I also feel like I had a falling out with a professor that was helping me but I think that I'm just making it all up in my head and it's not that bad. But I can't make a meeting with him because I feel like:
1.) We've had 3 meetings in the past 2 weeks, all about about academics.
2.) I told him partially how I felt via e-mail and he didn't really respond, he more so responded over it.
3.) I don't want him getting the counselor involved.
4.) I don't want to over step a boundary.

I'm just so lost and my head is going into dark places that I don't feel 100% okay or safe with.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: stupid question. - February 4th 2017, 12:53 AM

If you feel unsafe or are in crisis it's okay to see someone on campus, unless you and your regular counselor made a plan for how to handle these situations when he/she is unavailable? I don't have access to my therapist for 2 weeks and my first "assignment" from her spiraled me, so I feel your pain.

As far as your professor goes, I'm glad you recognize professional boundaries and want to be careful with them because once crossed, (and I'm not saying you are), they can't be uncrossed. Since you're an adult, he can't get any counselor involved, he can only suggest that you see one, which you already are. I HATE when professors respond over stuff, but I think it's their way of maintaining said boundaries and so it's probably a good thing that they don't try to involve themselves too much in your personal business. Especially if you are considered disabled because of it, in that case it's illegal for them to even ask you about it. I've had more than one professor like this, and I kept having to remind myself that this part of my struggle wasn't their job.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Chaotic_ Offline
Average Joe

Re: stupid question. - February 4th 2017, 01:29 AM

We don't have a plan for when this happens. This mood swing is not typical for me. So, I don't know how to handle this.

I also understand what your saying about boundaries. I've crossed them before years and I don't want to do it again. I just want to talk to him about it. Is it bad to bring it up with him in person? Is that crossing a boundary? How far is to far?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: stupid question. - February 4th 2017, 01:39 AM

That's the tricky part because it completely depends on the individual person, and if they haven't made it clear, it's a fine line. If you're concerned about it, and he's already responded "over' it when you brought it up, I'd personally say better safe than sorry, you can if you absolutely have no other option, but I wouldn't recommend it. You might end up disappointed and then you'll feel worse and it'll make things awkward. It's up to you though.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Chaotic_ Offline
Average Joe

Re: stupid question. - February 4th 2017, 03:03 AM

Thanks for your advice! I think it's hard because when it comes to my academics he's all for talking about my anxiety. Until today he's never talked "over" it. So, I'm kind of put off and really confused. I obviously don't want to react off my my anxiety and depression so I'm just staying away from my email. I don't want our relationship to go bad. He's really one of the two only professors I trust. I'm just not sure if I was to honest with him and now he's backing out.

I'm also not sure what to say to the campus counselor if I choose that route. I've had awful experiences with her in the past. So, I'm not very trusting of going to see her again.

It's just hard when you feel like you have nobody on your side.
I can't tell if I'm overreacting over this situation or if I've crossed a boundary and driven him away. I don't remember the last time I've felt this out of touch with reality.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: stupid question. - February 4th 2017, 06:58 AM

You can have two counselors; just sign a release allowing them to talk to each other about you, so they can work as a team.

Closed Thread