TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
twtech Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Can't get motivated. - April 28th 2017, 04:16 AM

First off, I apologize if what I write is all over the place. I'm just typing as I think.
I'm in a situation where I need some advice. I'm wrapping up my 8th grade year, and I've been having a growing issue over my school year. Last November, I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I've been having some ups and downs, and I'm really on a down turn right now.

Enough with my background. Recently I've been having trouble getting motivated to do my homework. I've fallen into a rut where I've been wasting my afternoon on Reddit and YouTube, then staying up late doing homework. It's like I can't get motivated to do homework. Since I'm not motivated, I can't concentrate on it. Honestly, the only thing that's making me do it is I know my grades will plummet if I don't, which means pressure from my parents, and the anxiety that comes from that. I think it would hold more value to me if I could take courses that applied to my future, but I only take one course that links to that.

Any suggestions on getting motivated?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Can't get motivated. - April 28th 2017, 08:35 AM

Thank you for writing. I see two possibilities for what's going on, and you can help me sort out which one it is (or if it's a third possibility. There's always a third choice!)

And these are all guesses. Let me know if one of them happens to be close, or if all of them are totally wrong.

One possibility is there's something missing in your life, like a friend, or girlfriend / boyfriend (sorry I don't know which), you're all alone in the house, and you don't like being alone in the house, and that being isolated triggers your depression, and so you turn to whatever helps treat the depression (which homework does not treat the depression!), and you don't actually get to the homework until later when other people get home so you're no longer the only one home.

If that's the case, you could consider doing homework at the library, or a coffee shop, or joining a homework club, or doing homework with a friend, (or asking your parents to help you find a friend to do homework with).

Another possibility is you have what is known as the "SP Artisan" personality type. This personality type craves action. They are the "Sensation Seeking" personality. Evel Knevel is the epitome of this personality type. They want to work with tools and their hands. They want to go into construction, or truck driving, or deal making. They enjoy sports, rock climbing, mountain climbing, sky diving, paragliding, surfing, they base their self-esteem on their performance. They are not going to be Einstein. They abhor sitting in a classroom listening to a teacher lecture. They get bored easily. They tend to do poorly in school because school is designed by SJ Guardians for SJ Guardians, not for SP Artisans. SP Artisans only want to learn what will be practical for them in life. They are not interested in abstract concepts or things they will never use in real life. They want to get out there and live life! They want to play! Their keyword is life is to be Fun!

These kind of people do better learning in an apprentice type of school, where they get hands on training actually doing things. Put them on a ranch. Put them in the driver seat of a truck. Put them in the driver seat of a tractor. Hand them some tools.

Those are two possibilities I can think of. (It's also possible it's both of them. Or neither of them.)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Thinking Offline
Think, and solve problems!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ivan

Re: Can't get motivated. - April 28th 2017, 03:33 PM

Hello! Sorry to hear that you are so down recently. It can be difficult to work on things when you feeling exhausted.

There is one kind of thinking that I hope might help you. It works for depression as well. First, try at your best to keep calm and have a deep breath to clear your mind. Now, instead of thinking what motivation you can get, let's think of how you can get motivation from the surroundings. Think of this question carefully everyday for maybe 5 minutes, and make sure you are really having a good mind to think of it (not being angry or very depressed)

It sounds about the same, but there is a key difference. Once you are thinking how you can get inspirations and motivations from what is around you, you start to appreciate what is given to you, and what is around you. I know you are having a hard situation and you might not see it, but sometimes even little beautiful things can help to motivate you again. They are all around us and it is what we all should think about how to find them! It is difficult to be happy, if you insist on thinking what kind of motivation you want to have, because it could be something that you will hardly get it. But just by changing this thought subtly can change everything.

You can do great things in future. Maybe you dont see it or you do. In any case, you should try to work at your best. Think of the future that you want to have and acheive, they can seem far away, but its possible if you work for it from today onwards. One today can change everything, dont ever hesitate and leave it tomorrow. Remember, today fixes everything, tomorrow delays everything. Tell yourself that you will do it starting from today!

I wonder what subjects are you taking in school? Just telling you if you have any problems with sciences or math, feel free to PM me anytime! I will be glad to help

You can do this. I know sometimes you feel down and unmotivated. But sometimes you dont have to insist of finding "a motivation". Motivation can simply be yourself, because you are the greatest reason to do great things to make your feel contented and happy with life. You deserve a happy life, and you can work on that starting from today!

You can do this, and I hope all the best for your studies!

Do my best at everything I can to live a happy, perfect life.

Happy life won't come by being happy everyday. Struggle and always work hard.

Forgive other's imperfection, they will work hard about it once I point it out to them, just like what I should be doing.

On the other hand, never tolerate with my own mediocrity. Never slack and always strive improvement.

Never settle. Never give up.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thinking 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: Can't get motivated. - April 29th 2017, 05:22 PM

Hello

I get the feeling that a big part of your issues is the fact that these days, all that you have on your mind is work, grades, or anything thats related to something on those lines. Perhaps the main reason why you have no motivation is because you're sorta tired of all this stress, this never ending workload and you certainly need something else to brighten up your days.

Perhaps try doing something fun like a few movies here and there and incorporate all those into your daily routine. You'll be surprised by how much fun changes your day around, turning what seemed like a barren wasteland into a colorful valley... a place that you won't dread to tread any longer.

It'll work out for you, I'm sure of it.

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
twtech Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Can't get motivated. - May 1st 2017, 04:05 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. You don't know how much this means to me.

Del677, reading what you've said seems to apply to me. I usually keep myself closed in my room because my little brother annoys me and I don't really know what to talk to my parents about, so that may be part of the problem. The personality type idea seems to describe me as well, I was thinking about writing mobile apps for a while but I keep circling back to IT because I like working on computers. That's probably why I like the classes I do: Engineering applies because I get to work with robotics, Spanish applies because I live in an area where speaking Spanish is beneficial, science because of the scientific method. I couldn't care less about Social Studies, because when will I ever need to know about all the random people involved in arbitrary battle of some war? Also my SS teacher is about as interesting as a brick. I think that's why I enjoy building computers as well as teaching myself to drive in my simulator.

Thinking, thanks for your kind words. I will keep everything you've said in mind, and I appreciate the motivation. I've definitely been looking forward to my future, but there's a lot of work to be done.

Green Yoshi, that definitely does play a part. Reflecting on my year, it seems that I started strong but the stress has been building as my grades have been dropping (this year's math curriculum goes way too fast, before I'm getting hold of one concept they've moved onto the next, and apparently I'm not the only one).

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone for sharing tips and motivation. You don't know how much this means to me.

-Travis

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: Can't get motivated. - May 1st 2017, 04:11 AM

I'm glad that our effort means a lot to you. Try to balance out your activities and make sure that you get involved in something that gives you the relaxation and fun needed to cope with the burnout you're experiencing, because I can tell that you're sorta tired of studying. Make sure to not overburden your brain by studying too much and also ensure that you're taking breaks in between.

Basically, do more of what you like doing, and study at the same time.

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

Closed Thread