TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Meditation made me depressed? - October 24th 2017, 08:08 AM

I went to a meditation group this evening, and meditating made me depressed. What's up with that?

Wht would that happen?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Meditation made me depressed? - October 24th 2017, 03:50 PM

Hi, I'm so sorry that you are having a hard time with this right now and you are feeling like this.

Sometimes when we are sitting around and being quiet and meditation is one of the things you can do, because you're so quiet and you're thinking about different things and this can upset you because of what's going on in you're life right now. Even if you are ok for that day, when you sit and you're quiet and you're thinking about different things because that's when you're mind starts wandering and it can bring you down because of something that happened or what you're going through at the time. And I'm sorry that when you were in you're class you were upset and it brought you down. The next time you are in class try and to think of things that you enjoy doing so that you don't get upset.

If you can try and do some things that you enjoy doing to try and pick you up so that you feel a little bit better. Going to see you're friend or putting on funny movies or TV shows or going for a walk and putting on music. I know it can be hard when something makes you upset or it brings you down like this. Please don't be too hard on yourself, just try to find something that you enjoy to help pick you back up so that you start feeling like you're self again. I hope that you will be ok soon. Hugs.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Meditation made me depressed? - October 24th 2017, 05:58 PM

When we have so much tension and emotions built up in our body, the smallest bit of mindfulness and relaxation can bring those to our full attention. Many times we push those depressed emotions down and deny that we're under so much stress and experiencing so much sadness. But with meditation, the point is to relax and observe yourself and watch your problems and thoughts from a distance. It's to become present in the moment and in your life, and witness where you stand and why you're so unhappy.
It is extremely intense, to say the least. And sometimes we're not prepared to deal with the reality that meditation may open our eyes to.

With the relaxation of letting go of your thoughts, it basically gives the body a chance to really see and feel everything that's going on. It's hard to explain, but since you have experienced it, I'm sure you understand.
When the body and mind let go through meditation, it makes us more susceptible to those emotions, in a way.

Personally, though it may be painful, I would recommend giving it another few tries. There's great power to learning how to observe yourself and how to "watch" your feelings and thoughts from afar. It separates your pain from yourself and actually makes it easier to deal with the depression.
If that's too intense, perhaps just use meditation for now to focus on what's real and factual, versus what your emotions and thoughts are telling you. That can be a way to bring yourself to the present, but maybe not bring such intense emotions to the surface.
And hey, if meditation just isn't for you, there are a LOT of other things you can do to achieve the same type of relaxation.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Meditation made me depressed? - October 24th 2017, 06:40 PM

Hi Del,

I recently went to a workshop and in one of the sessions we had to meditate. I found that when she was explaining the scene to us that we were seeing, but I found that my seen kept changing into much different scenes. I agree that when you're sitting in the quiet, that your mind races a lot quicker.

You're not alone in this, a lot of people actually go through these same feelings when it comes to meditation. Maybe try finding something different that might be able to help?

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread