TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
rob89 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

what can I do for my depression - January 8th 2010, 11:36 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I have reached a point where I do not wish to continue with life, I have no real friends my girlfriend doesnt seem interested in me anymore, I have been fighting depression for years but it has got worse since jan last year. I feel like the best thing for me is to just give up and die. My
"friends" make me feel miserbale all the time and are always making me feel like I have no dignity. I have seen counsellors in the past and it has only been a temporary solution to my suicidal thouhgts, I dont want to carry on like this, having no self esteem, I cant even face my own reflection without feeling repulsed by it. I just dont know what to do anymore. I'm sorry if i'm making little or no sense, my mind is just all over the place and I feel completely alone and isolated.

Last edited by rob89; January 8th 2010 at 11:49 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
xxxAJxxx Offline
TEIAM - problem solved.
Average Joe

Name: Aj

Re: what can I do for my depression - January 9th 2010, 12:56 AM

dude, you are making alot of sense. alot of people go through what you are, myself included. what you need is to talk to someone. i suggest a therapist, but if that isnt possible, just talk to people about how you feel. this was your first step, and a great one. pm me if you need anyone to talk to.

and now i just read that counselors didnt work :P. did you ever consider getting a perscription from a psychiatrist for medication? it may sound scary, but for most people, it does work.

if you need anything, please pm me. i dont want anything to happen to ya.

-AJ

(#3 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: what can I do for my depression - January 9th 2010, 10:04 AM

Well you have definitely come to the right place. There are a lot of people in the world in your situation, so don't ever feel alone or misunderstood. I know that you can feel intimidated by others and it's really horrible that your friends are making you feel so awful. I think the best thing to do would be to find new friends because those you have now don't sound all that great.

It's good that you came here because that means that there's a part of you that wants to get better, I'm guessing you just don't know how. This may sound super cheesy, but during my deepest times of depression I always remind myself that I can't end my life because I look at life as being handed a canvas when you're born, and having the chance to put whatever the heck you want on that canvas. Sure, you may have the moments you desperately want to forget, but you can forget about those; paint over them.

Something that has helped me immensely is finding something to do to get your mind off of things. I got really into stand-up paddleboarding and met some new people through it, so perhaps doing new things can help you, too. Just don't give up, because even though it may not feel like it sometimes, you have so much to live for.

Waitin' for my ruca.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Crescendo Offline
Walking The Line
Junior TeenHelper

Name: ...

Re: what can I do for my depression - January 9th 2010, 03:05 PM

Hi-
I'm sorry you're feeling so down in the dumps right now.

Many Mental illnesses like depression are treatable with medication, therapy, and lifestyle changes such as eating balanced meals and getting enough sleep. It is however very very hard to go it alone. Your life is valuable, and with treatment things CAN get better.

Ask yourself "If I was happy, how would life be different than it is now?" It may be hard to imagine if you've been in emotional pain for a long time, but try to write as much as you can about what your life would be like. Then try to pick out the things in your "happy" life that you actually have control over and can work towards. Something like winning the lottery isn't realistic, but there are probably going to be several things that you do have control over. Make them specific and realistic goals.

I doubt your family would be better off without you. most people won't go down in the history books. but that doesn't mean they aren't changing and contributing to the world. its like the chorus in musicals- the chorus members are just one in a group- but without them the play could not go on. sometimes when i feel like people would be better off without me i watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv2DyzhxpA0
its a music video that is about suicide, and has real parents whose kids killed themselves talking about how hard hard losing their children. you said you weren't suicidal, but the video is only a few minutes long and may make you rethink your belief that your family would be better off without you

the only thing you can count on is change, so why don't you stick around? This too shall pass. Things get better, things get worse, but it won't be this way for ever. Don't be afraid to ask for help. your life is valuable.

You're NOT alone

Megan

When the patient's body has betrayed them,
and all the sciencewe have to offer has failed them,
when worst-case scenario comes true,
clinging to hope is all we've got left.
-grey's.anatomy-

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Re: what can I do for my depression - January 10th 2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisiscourtney View Post
........I think the best thing to do would be to find new friends because those you have now don't sound all that great.

It's good that you came here because that means that there's a part of you that wants to get better, I'm guessing you just don't know how. This may sound super cheesy, but during my deepest times of depression I always remind myself that I can't end my life because I look at life as being handed a canvas when you're born, and having the chance to put whatever the heck you want on that canvas. Sure, you may have the moments you desperately want to forget, but you can forget about those; paint over them.

Something that has helped me immensely is finding something to do to get your mind off of things. I got really into stand-up paddleboarding and met some new people through it, so perhaps doing new things can help you, too. Just don't give up, because even though it may not feel like it sometimes, you have so much to live for.
Courtney said it all well and said what needed to be said. Find something you would love doing.So you have some exploring to do. But the first thing you must do is get rid of those "friends" of yours. They may be the very source or perhaps "supporters" of your depression.

Closed Thread