TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jen K Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jennifer

How do I Tell My Mother? - February 3rd 2010, 05:58 PM

(No, I am not pregnant.)

About a month ago, maybe a little less, I went to my pediatrician (for a lingering cold. That was dealt within but I also found out in that visit and a couple check-ups that I have high blood pressure (Hypertensive levels after three BP checks) and high cholesterol.

After my doctor went back in to my files, she found out that I also had high cholesterol back in May of '09 when I went in and found out I had Mono. The level is so high that I could have been sent to Childrens (hospital) and immediately placed on medication.

Instead, I (or my mother, rather) opted that I try to naturally lower everything that is too high, including my weight before we ever consider going on medication.

The doctor said to take everything in stride, slowly changing habits rather then all at once. Although my mother promised she wouldn't harp on me about losing weight and eating better, she also hasn't been very supportive. She is still buying the foods that I can't be eating basically because that is all that she can afford, but she is also making comment about what I choose to eat, telling me that I don't need to eat that and that I should be thinking more about my health.

That happened last night when she made desert (Cinnamon Rolls). I was getting mine and asked her if she wanted another one (because I would have taken it out to her). She told me know and then had to say that I didn't need to eat two, I should think more about my health. I wasn't even considering eating another one, or even all of the one I had on my plate. The comment made me angry and upset, and I ended up eating the whole roll anyways.

Anyways, what I came here to say is that I think I may be depressed. I have wondered off and on for a couple of weeks if it is possible. Over the last week, I have only even worn jeans out of the house once, and I stayed on the property and did nothing. I have been laying in bed or on the couch in pajamas for 98% of the last couple of weeks.

I just don't want to eat anything any more, I sleep less and less each night, I am constantly feeling sick to my stomach with nerves for no reason. Last night, I finally felt sleepy enough to go to sleep around 3:30 in the morning. Instead, I ended up lying in bed for an hour trying to go to sleep and ended up crying myself to sleep, and I don't know why.

I really want to say something to my mother, maybe I need to go to my doctor and see what she think. I just can't say anything to my mother, though, because I know what she would say. She would say that I am being stupid and that I am just lazy.

I am just scared that, If I am depressed, that nothing is going to be done about it and it could get worse.

What should I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Re: How do I Tell My Mother? - February 3rd 2010, 10:08 PM

Confronting parents about anything can be very challenging, espcially when we think we already know what they're going to say. If you think you know what she'll say, be ready with something to say back in response to it. Tell her to take you to a doctor just to be sure. Tell her that it's better to be safe than sorry. Before you talk to her, play the scenario out in your mind and be ready with what your going to say. This will also help build up confidence when you confront her about it. Sit her down, and tell her that you really need her to take you seriously. Tell her that you should at least make sure that it's not depression. Only a doctor can tell you if it is or isn't. She can't just make assumptions.

If you find that you cannot get yourself to tell her face to face, which really is the best way and most convincing if you want her to take you to a doctor, then you can always try to write it in a letter. You may be able to get your words out better than way. You may even want to try writing down what you want to say before you say it, that way our thoughts will be organized. Have reasons to support what you want to tell her. Explain to her why you think your depressed and tell her how you feel. She needs to know, and you should try to put in as much detail as you can for her to explain. It can be very difficult to for others to understand these kind of things.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Ivan"Chandler" Brown

Re: How do I Tell My Mother? - February 4th 2010, 06:36 AM

i agree with lyric i think you should sit her down and tell her your worry, And see how she takes it.
I am on every night so if you need to talk just pm or vm me and i will get back to you
~chandler~
  Send a message via AIM to Brighter.than.sun Send a message via MSN to Brighter.than.sun Send a message via Yahoo to Brighter.than.sun Send a message via Skype™ to Brighter.than.sun 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: How do I Tell My Mother? - February 4th 2010, 06:57 PM

Hey Jennifer,
Reaching out to your mother can be a very tough thing to do, but once you do that, things just get easier. It does sound like you have symptoms of depression although we can't diagnose you. I think to tell her, you need to sit down with her and explain to here everything you have been feeling. Just tell her you think you have been depressed and ask her to help you get professional help so you can feel better. If she doesn't believe you, don't give up. Keep asking her if you can see a professional to make sure or so they can try to help you. Let her know you aren't purposely doing these things, you just feel like you can't go out, be active, etc. It's alright to be scared to open up to her but don't let that hold you back. You can do it!
PM me if you need anything or want to talk.
Take care,
Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

Closed Thread