TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lil Offline
I'm here
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lil

Question The difference? - February 4th 2010, 03:05 AM

Whats the difference bewteen being truly depressed and just the sad moody teenage kinda depression?
I hope that question made sense but i just hate that adults automatically use the your upset because your a teenager thing, because im geniunely sure i have major issues, not the depressive teenager crap.
help anyone?

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Cut free since March 6th 2013
Purge free since March 8th 2013

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: The difference? - February 4th 2010, 03:38 AM

Well, answer these questions, if you don't mind...

1. How often are you depressed?

2. What makes you happy (if anything?)

3. How does this depression feel? Describe the best you can.

These questions may help us get a better idea.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: The difference? - February 4th 2010, 03:50 AM

Depression is typically diagnosed as either dysthymic or major depressive and each of these depends on how long both the depression and 2-4 other symptoms are around.

Moodiness is more being irritable and quick to anger and overall frustrated with everything in general. It comes and goes, but you still have good days/are interested in activities you like. Depression on the other hand usually winds up with a person losing interest in activities they use to like, sleeping a lot/not sleeping enough, eating a lot/not eating at all, etc. Ultimately only your doctor can properly diagnose or confirm any of this.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lil Offline
I'm here
Junior TeenHelper

Re: The difference? - February 4th 2010, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ☣ ArcAngel ☣ View Post
Well, answer these questions, if you don't mind...

1. How often are you depressed?

2. What makes you happy (if anything?)

3. How does this depression feel? Describe the best you can.

These questions may help us get a better idea.
thank you for the reply
ever since i was very little ive always had these really shy anxious and nervous feelings,where i couldnt talk to new people or even answer the phone,these have always made me feel horribley sad, where i get numb and just cant involve myself in anytthing social.Still i feel this way i just feel consistenly numb, and i cant function at all.I get to overwhelmed i feel like i cant do my homework or i wont even go out with my friends.All i want to is sleep and just never wake up.only times i feel any better is when i am distracted at school in classes or someone comes up and talks to me but otherwise my mind will wander and i start feeling horrible again.I feel constantly lonely, i have since my grandma passed away when i was ten.i cant even go up and talk to my friends they have to iniuate the conversation or else i get to nervous and freak.Its been getting worse lately my rroom got messy and it overwhelmes me so much i cry when i see it, i cant even touch anything in it.Ive been self harming, and am on the edge of having a full blown eating disorder.which all of these i do just to make this horrible sad numb feeling ive had for years to go away.I do not hardly sleep at all and i have kind of told my mom about this and i do not think she will take me seriously or to see a doctor.I do not now if it is depression, and i know no one can say for certain unless i go to a doctor of some sort but an opinion on this is nice.sorry for my long ranting.

Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Last edited by Lil; February 4th 2010 at 04:19 AM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lil Offline
I'm here
Junior TeenHelper

Re: The difference? - February 4th 2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pothole View Post
Depression is typically diagnosed as either dysthymic or major depressive and each of these depends on how long both the depression and 2-4 other symptoms are around.

Moodiness is more being irritable and quick to anger and overall frustrated with everything in general. It comes and goes, but you still have good days/are interested in activities you like. Depression on the other hand usually winds up with a person losing interest in activities they use to like, sleeping a lot/not sleeping enough, eating a lot/not eating at all, etc. Ultimately only your doctor can properly diagnose or confirm any of this.
thank you for the reply
I have lost interest in a lot of the usual activities i use to love, i hardly sleep at all, i have major eating problems, as well iknow only my doctor can properly diagnose me but i do not think my mom believes me so she wont take me to see one.Ive tried tel her but she cuts me off and says just being an ansty teen which agitated me incredibly, im not really sure what i should say to her so that she will believe me

Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Closed Thread