TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Moonlight101 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Restarting Therapy - March 14th 2010, 04:08 PM

I've been seeing a psych for about a year and a half and been being treated with antidepressents. I tried therapy before and didn't likw who I was seeing, so I stopped for a while. I'm restarting therapy with a new therapist tomorrow. I'm so nervous about it. I feel like theres so much that I want to talk about and get out, home, school, my future. But I feel like an idiot everytime I talk about things. I'm terrified of being judged on the way that I feel or think. I'm so anxious about tomorrow.. I know I need the help and I need to work through things but it's hard all the same. I'm terrified..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: Restarting Therapy - March 14th 2010, 04:50 PM

Hey There,
It's certainly normal to be afraid of new things. Seeings how your last therapist didn't work out too well, I can tell that your feeling are real about starting again. I first want to say that I think it's absolutely wonderful that you are starting again, it's definitely a step in the right direction if you ask me.
Now, I really think you should be open to the idea that this is going to be a good thing. Please keep in mind that you don't have to blurt everything out at once, you can take your time with this new therapist and get to know him or her first before starting.
I don't think you need to worry about being judged. Therapists certainly won't do that. You need to understand that they see so many other people and have had other patients in the past and I'm sure you're not the first one or the last, so she's not going to judge you because there have probably been patients worse than you, or better, I mean there are a wide variety of people who see therapists, so just keep your mind open to the possibilities that are ahead for you.
I know it's going to be hard, but like I said earlier, you just have to work at it one session at a time and get the feel for how your therapist works. If you end up not liking your therapist the first day, well then give it one last try, and if you still don't like him or her, then you can always find a new one. Don't be afraid of opening your mind to new opportunites and possibilities.
I hope this helped. You don't have to be so anxious. I wish the the best of luck tomorrow and I hope things go well. Take care of yourself.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Restarting Therapy - March 15th 2010, 08:36 PM

Hey there,

I think that it's wonderful that you're persisting with getting help because it's definitely worth it in the long run.

Although you didn't get on very well with your last therapist, it doesn't mean that it's going to be the same way this time. Hopefully you will be talking to someone that you feel better connected with and can form a bond with over time. It's definitely important to have a therapist who you're comfortable with and it may find some time to find that person, but it's worth it. However, it's only natural to feel nervous about your therapy appointment - I have been in therapy for years and I still get nervous sometimes! Hopefully it will get easier for you over time. It's unusual at first to talk to someone about how you feel and what you're thinking because it's not something that we do everyday, but it should get somewhat easier. You do not need to feel like an idiot when you're talking about things - that's what you're there for and it in fact makes you a very brave person to be there and talk about those things. You certainly don't need to worry about being judged as a therapist will never judge you, they are there to listen and try to understand what's going on. They are there to support you.

It's great that you're going to see your new therapist and I wish you the best.
Take care.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Life17 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Restarting Therapy - March 15th 2010, 11:42 PM

write it down

(#5 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Restarting Therapy - March 16th 2010, 12:11 AM

Some Therapists out there are really caring, really intelligent people who can really help you out. Perhaps the one you are seeing will be a huge improvement over the last one and you'll feel more comfortable around this one. Just be straight and honest, tell them what's on your mind and your problems and see if they can help you.
I hope it goes well for you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Restarting Therapy - March 16th 2010, 03:24 AM

Hey there,

I understand your fear but the thing you need to remember is that therapists are there for you and are there to be objective and understanding. The best advice I can give is to tell you to talk to your therapist about your fears and concerns. Of course you need to let him/her know what is going on emotionally but you should also let them in on the fact that you have concerns and what not. I know from experience that doing that really helps in forming a trusting relationship with a therapists.

The first time I went to my therapist I told her out right that I was scared. I told her about the past experiences I had with therapists and even to this day she always reassures me that she is not going any where and what not. If your therapist knows what you are concerned about then they can help in reassuring you.

Basically when it comes to therapy you need to be honest. It can be really scary to let someone in but if you are not honest they can not help you. And, the worst thing that can happen is you will find out they are not the right therapist for you and you will go looking for another one.

Hang in there and if you need anything feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread