TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
awmnomnom7 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Overwhelming Stress - May 4th 2010, 03:55 AM

I am not suicidal, but I am getting very stressed and very depressed.

I've been experiencing an overwhelming amount of stress lately. I'm use to stress and always considered it a good thing that I can handle it, but lately it's becoming too much. I just need somebody to talk to that's not directly related to the problem(s). The stress is actually starting to affect my health. I barely sleep, I barely eat, and my mind feels like it's exploding with emotions.

My second semester of college is nearing its end. I'm struggling with a couple of subjects while excelling in others. Overall, the work is tough and stressful. I commute over an hour to school every day, sometimes spending as much as 13 hours on campus due to my schedule. I live with my dad now. I have no friends at his house. It's difficult to meet people around there as few of them speak English, and I never grew up there so there really is nowhere to go to meet people my age. I have friends on campus, but none that really compare to my friends back home - at my mom's house. She lives another hour or so away from my dad's house. I go there every weekend, mostly to see family and those close friends I have down there. But, during the week, it's very lonely here. Even when I'm on campus, I'm spending most of my time doing work.

My mother and father have been divorced since before I can remember. It doesn't bother me. But lately, they have started to fight quite a bit. When I was younger they got along pretty well, we would even go on some small trips together, and it was fine. But now they send each other hateful emails, my dad took my mom to court once regarding some financial thing with my brother and I, where apparantly he said some hateful things to her. My dad seems to be understanding of my feelings toward this issue, but my mother has grown increasingly immature over the last couple years. I don't know what happened, but it's as if she's trying to be a teenager again. There's nothing wrong with that, but there is something wrong with the way she does it. She goes out a lot now, meets random guys, dates them for a while, gets hurt, and repeats. Hell, sometimes she's dating like three guys at once. She drinks a lot of wine now, which is very new. She never drank until recently. Sometimes I feel as though I'm the parent.

My brother is 22 (I'm 19). He was born with a number of problems, including ADHD, Aspergers Syndrome, and some others. Most people just see him as "that asshole kid" - that being, his problems aren't immediately noticable as psychological diseases. From what I understand, though, they cause him to be severely socially awkward, not comprehend consequences very well, and have a somewhat distorted sense of reality. I've also noticed he has absolutely no respect for anyone or anything, and lacks most (if not all) ethical and moral values. He's come a long way since a time I remember long ago, but his maturaty level still seems far inferior to anyone his age, or my age for that matter. He is my brother, and I love him, but sometimes I cannot stand the things he does.

I have this "female interest," if you will, which I will get more into later in this post. For now, let's just say my brother isn't only affecting me, by her as well. Her and I were chilling in my room one day, and my brother comes in to bother us. He really is relentless. I asked him to leave countless times, and he did not. Finally, we got him out and locked the door. He decided to get a screw driver, remove my doorknob, and continue to pester us. I also found out that whenever I leave the room for a minute, he immediately bothers her. He'll poke her, play with her hair, and other odd things. I was furious when I found out. He is unemployed, not going to school, and he's been this way ever since he got fired from his manager position at Taco Bell. Now he sits in my mom's downstairs, playing XBox and Play Station all day. He steals money from my mom to buy junk food. He has put on a considerable amount of weight as a result. He does nothing, drains my mom's money, and when my mom does everything in the world for him, then asks one small favor, he has the nerve to call her a bitch and not do anything. He hit me in the chest really hard recently. I was pissed, but he said "I hurt you all the time, it's no big deal." Oh... I was fuming after that. But I go back to my dad's house for the week, and time passes, and I fall back into the state of feeling sorry for him. Then everything repeats.

So then there's this girl. It's very complicated (isn't it always). Well, we're best friends, blah blah blah. We one got in a very large fight that resulted in her not talking to me for about three months. The thing is, I don't even know what the fight was about to this day. In fact, she claims that she doesn't either. We've since made up, and though it took a while, we're closer than ever. But a lot of things happened right before that fight, many of which I added to my mental list of possible reasons for it happening. That's not really stressing me out, but it's the history for what is...

So recently she decided that she's really starting to trust me more, and wanted to be closer (physically closer). We've been doing some things that are physically closer, like cuddling and tickling and the like. It's nice, you know. Nothing sexual or anything like that, though. One of these times we just got really close though, like our foreheads touched and then our noses, you know. I wanted to kiss her, and I think maybe she wanted me to as well, but something held me back. Remember that list of things that may be a reason for that 3 month period of time? One time she mentioned that she wanted to kiss me, see if anything came of it. Then, right before our fight, one thing that happened was that I said I wanted to, too. At that time, little did I know, she liked some other guy. That's over and done with, but what if that was the main reason she disowned me? I'm terrified of that happening again, so I'm afraid to make any sort of move. But, at the same time, I'm afraid that if I don't, maybe that'll cause a problem too. And I want to, but I have no idea how she'll react. It's all very confusing. I decided next time that our faces get close again like that, I'm going to try, but when the time actually comes, idk if I'll be able to do it. I've never been nervous about a girl like this before. I'm just afraid of losing her, not only as a girl, but as a friend... a best friend.

And even if it does lead somewhere, I'm pretty self conscious about how I look. Two of my main physical problems are that I'm overweight. Though, I have lost about 50 lbs over the last year. I still have a way to go, but it's definitely a start. The other thing is, I'm much hairier than most guys. Some people say some girls like that, but it seems like a bit much to me. And she... is absolutely beautiful.

Oh, then there's one of my best male friends. I found out recently that I'm his only real friend. I spend more time with him than anyone else (except that girl). But he says I make too much time for said girl. He's absolutely jealous, and it isn't fair. But what if he's right? Maybe I do make too much time for her. I do want to be with her every second, but I absolutely make sure I make time for my other friends. It's tough seeing as I'm only there on weekends.

The weather isn't helping me either. It's getting hot and humid. Ugh...

Anyway, that's just the start of my problems. The list goes on and on and on. But the stress has been building up, and I feel like it's about to explode. I almost cried yesterday, and I like never cry... ever.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
KateShannon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kate

Re: Overwhelming Stress - May 4th 2010, 05:33 AM

Hey,

Firstly, I'm glad you haven't resorted to anything extreme to try to cope. Just talk here and we will share your burden with you.

I understand where you're coming from with the stress. My brother has ADHD and God knows what else, and he's, for lack of a better word, an ass at times. My parents are also not together and don't get along at all. I'm a commuter as well and don't really have friends, etc.

Please feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to or if you need a friend.

<3 Kate

Love's not a three way street. You'll never share real love until you love yourself.
-Jonathan Larson
  Send a message via AIM to KateShannon  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Megan09 Offline
Singer, lover, writer
Average Joe

Name: Megan

Re: Overwhelming Stress - May 4th 2010, 05:41 AM

Wow, I can't even being to imagine the stress that all this is putting on you. All I can say is that you must be an amazingly strong person to handle all this.

Don't be afraid to cry. Sometimes just letting things out help immensely. Keep talking to people, we want to help. Try journaling, too, to get things out.

I'm a freshman in college too, and I'm going through finals, so I do get the pressure from that. Just remember, school will be over SO soon, and then you'll be one stress less

I'm here if you ever want to talk. Keep staying strong!

"If music be the food of love, play on." -Shakespeare
Remember: May is skin cancer awareness month. Be smart, here are some tips to protect yourself:
Feel free to PM me, I'm here to help
TH Social Networking Team
  Send a message via AIM to Megan09  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
awmnomnom7 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Overwhelming Stress - May 4th 2010, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Kate, I'm just wondering, does your situation with your brother seem similar to mine? If so, what exactly do you do to cope with him? or to help him? I'm just at a loss as far as he goes.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
awmnomnom7 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Overwhelming Stress - May 5th 2010, 09:12 PM

Before my post gets eaten, I was wondering if anyone had some advice for me? I'm sorta starting to lose it... and I'm not feeling well cause I barely sleep, and don't have much of an appetite.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Re: Overwhelming Stress - May 8th 2010, 08:41 PM

First of all, whatever you think is giving you this stress or part of it, take a break from it. Most notable the amount of college work you are taking.

For your Mom ; To me it seems your mom never really got over your dad, but her heart was still with him. And now she is trying to cope with all this "bad things" happening between them. Clearly her heart is aching badly and she is just trying to cope with it, so I say this, step in and try and fix things with them, organize a get together for them. Talk to each first softly and if they allow, get them together. As you love your mom, do this for her.

For the girl ; Find out if she likes someone right now,if not then take a step and talk to her more.

For other issues ; Everything else you know what to do.

I came here to help out, so if you wanna talk or just need someone to bounce ideas or issues off of or something else then send me a message and I will reply as soon as I can.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
awmnomnom7 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Overwhelming Stress - May 8th 2010, 10:50 PM

I appreciate your advice, but I don't think you got an accurate picture of my situation.

My mom is definitely over my dad. It's not only been nearly 16 years, but she's the one who ended it. She dates all the time. They cannot, and will not, go back together. Not to mention my dad is getting married in a year.

As for the girl, she's already my best friends. She doesn't like anyone right now, that I'm aware of. It's just a matter of whether or not she's ready (or even wants to) move on to a more romantic sort of relationship. She's been hinting it, I think, but it's difficult to tell.

Closed Thread