TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
letgoslowly Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Di

Question in the movies - June 12th 2010, 05:59 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

i hate it when movies have someone kill themself, or atleast hold the gun to their head. i was watching the movie Brothers tonight(which was good btw) and at one point, the gun head a gun to his head, i hate it. i get akward. and my throat goes dry, so i swallow, and its soo loud. a big "GULP"! or when people cut in movies. im a cutter, and i have suicidal thoughts, soo thats why it bothers me. does this bother any of you guys?

I'm burning out like a bright light, I wasn't ready for this. You're adorable as hell, but I'm glancing at your wrist.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
luckyblue_e Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Emily

Re: in the movies - June 12th 2010, 06:04 AM

I'm like that a lot. I can't stand to see someone cutting in the movies. I can barely stand seeing someone else's blood. It's like everytime I see someone cut in a movie I imagine what it was like when I would cut, and the pain is a million times worse, and I'm just screaming at whoever it is in the movie in my head how they shouldn't do that, and how can they stand the pain, etc.

Those scenes are always hard to watch. :/ I didn't know anyone else thought that, too.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
letgoslowly Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: in the movies - June 12th 2010, 06:08 AM

for me its really triggering, and i think about suicide/cutting constantly for the whole night and its horrible, that actually why i got on tonight! and yeah ive never heard anyone say that it bothered them , so i thought it was just me too! nice to know someone else feels the same..

I'm burning out like a bright light, I wasn't ready for this. You're adorable as hell, but I'm glancing at your wrist.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: in the movies - June 12th 2010, 06:41 AM

I understand how you feel and how this upsets you. In all honesty though, there's not much that you can do. There are going to be triggers no matter where we go, and what we watch. They come up in life, and we have to find some way to prepare for them. We can't expect the world to avoid triggering material all together simply because it makes it difficult for us. We have to learn how to live through whatever triggers that the media or the world in general might throw at us. Once you start to recover from self harm, eventually the triggers won't be so hard to take. Rather than trying to avoid anything that might be the slightest bit triggering, try to learn to deal with the triggers and engage in healthy activity instead of self harming; writing, reading, drawing, taking a walk, etc. All of those can help when you are triggered.

If you ever need to talk things through, PM me anytime.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#5 (permalink)) Old
luckyblue_e Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Emily

Re: in the movies - June 12th 2010, 07:09 AM

I shudder a lot the whole time, and have to close my eyes. I feel kinda silly doing it, but that's better than me throwing up because I saw someone else's blood. >.>

The movie that's been the most triggering for me was Shutter Island. I was litterally gagging in the theater.

Because that it was Orphan. I left during one scene. xD

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: in the movies - June 13th 2010, 11:55 PM

It does bother me a bit. I almost feel as though Hollywood glamorizes issues such as suicidal tendencies and self-harm. People see these scenes and think it's "cool" because the actors in the movies are doing it, when in reality, it's not cool at all. It's all thrown in there for dramatic effect and because the movie industry knows it will sell. None of the people behind the scenes even stop to research the issue or think about why people really engage in these behaviors. That, I think, bothers me more than anything. The concerned characters are often portrayed as "emo" or "emotionally unstable" at that particular point in the film, thus reinforcing all the stereotypes already imposed upon self-harmers and other genuinely depressed people.

For me, I am more bothered by the inaccurate portrayal of these issues in the movies than I am by the scenes themselves.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
letgoslowly Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: in the movies - June 20th 2010, 10:34 PM

Shades Of Silver,
i totally agree with you! but seeing it also bothers me. but yeah the characters aren't.... real? its not shown, how it really is. so yeah you're definetly right there!!!

Last edited by letgoslowly; June 20th 2010 at 11:00 PM.

Closed Thread